Sunday at Sunset Pot

Stu

In the above titled film there is a pub scene where the assorted crowd are seen swigging and singing. What's the song?

gus horsley

Seeing as there haven't been any replies to this I'm assuming nobody has the seen the film, including me.

Try "Wild Rover". It's the song most usually sung at embarrassing camera-pointing evenings when people try to look drunk but aren't.

Stu

gus horsley said:
Seeing as there haven't been any replies to this I'm assuming nobody has the seen the film, including me.

Try "Wild Rover". It's the song most usually sung at embarrassing camera-pointing evenings when people try to look drunk but aren't.

I think I know the tune to Wild Rover and it's either not it or a terrible rendition... which considering the consumption on show!!!

gus horsley

Streets of London? Eskimo Nell? The Alphabet Song (too filthy)? Seven Drunken Nights? Can't think of much else - I'll have to go down to the local Blockbuster and see if they've got it in. :?

Graigwen

The song is "The Holy Ground", an Irish fisherman's song. The Holy Ground was the sailors entertainment area  (i.e. red light district) in Cobh.

Although never one of the most popular Irish folk songs in Britain, it was not uncommon to hear it sung here. I recall singing it in about 1967 in the folk club in the barn bar of the Skinners Arms in Aberystwyth.

More details at http://unitedireland.tripod.com/id277.html

The whole of "Sunday at Sunset Pot" can now be viewed at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_9CktsqOWM

Graigwen

....and I have just checked, I do have a recording of it on an old cheap double LP by the Dubliners (unplayed for over twenty years).

andys

THE HOLY GROUND

Fare thee well, my lovely Dinah, a thousand times adieu.
We are bound away from the Holy Ground and the girls we love so true.
We'll sail the salt seas over and we'll return once more,
And still I live in hope to see the Holy Ground once more.
(Shouted) Fine girl you are!
(Sung) You're the girl that I adore,

Now when we're out a-sailing and you are far behind
Fine letters will I write to you with the secrets of my mind,
The secrets of my mind, my girl, you're the girl that I adore,

Oh now the storm is raging and we are far from shore;
The poor old ship she's sinking fast and the riggings they are tore.
The night is dark and dreary, we can scarcely see the moon,
But still I live in hope to see the Holy Ground once more.

It's now the storm is over and we are safe on shore
We'll drink a toast to the Holy Ground and the girls that we adore.
We'll drink strong ale and porter and we'll make the taproom roar,
And when our money is all spent we'll go to sea once more.

.... and it still gets the occasional airing at the weekly Tuesday-night folk sessions at the New Inn at Denholme in the West Riding of Gods Own County! (Shameless plug!!)

Stu

There has to some record broken here! Nine years old thread ressurection.

Thanks for the link.

grahams

Stuart Anderson said:
There has to some record broken here! Nine years old thread ressurection.

Thanks for the link.

I for one found it useful though - hadn't seen the Sunset film (or the Sleets Gill horror show, with its thankfully happy ending, via the Youtube link).

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Incredible resurrection.  Well done.

Graigwen - how on earth did you come to answer Stuart's question after so many years?

Graigwen

Badlad said:
Incredible resurrection.  Well done.

Graigwen - how on earth did you come to answer Stuart's question after so many years?

Of course I did not set out to answer the question, but thanks to the Internet all kinds of information gets picked up and displayed on a Google search page. I just wanted to check that I was correct in saying that Jim Leach and Harold Burgess had been involved in the rescue at Sunset Pot for notes I was adding to an image of their 1969 ladder parts price list in the UCWCC's Flickr album prior to their 50th anniversary celebrations. https://www.flickr.com/photos/11409438@N06/23822936471/in/album-72157620557572135/

When I saw the link to Stuarts query I looked at it out of curiosity, realizing I had an advantage as I spent a lot of the 1960s in pubs singing folk songs. I recognized the song immediately although I had to think for a minute to remember the title.