• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Olympus Tough - not so tough?

Long Drop

Hi, I now know two people who have recently bought these cameras (autumn and Christmas) and within weeks had to return them...  The camera seems fine (isn't dropped, flooded or abused) but suddenly stops responding to any input from any of the dials / knobs / buttons, although if you turn it off and on you will find that it has changed mode if you changed the mode on the dial... You cannot get into any of the menus.

Has anyone else experienced this? That two people in the same caving club should experience the same thing, with cameras bought at different times and from different places, suggests a dodgy batch of cameras or a fault built into the camera.

Just curious.

royfellows

If you dont mind advice, I would return the camera for an 100% refund under the Sale of Goods Act, ie unmerchantable quality and unfit for purpose.

It sounds like you would be better of then reinvesting your money in say a Nikon or Fujifilm.
An example of the former had just been bought by a friend of mine and I was impressed, long exposure option, wide angle option (24mm focal length equivalent) and 10 sec self timer. The latter I use and its about 12 years old, and it has been dropped, wet and abused, and still keeps going. Was SH of eBay, the S9600.

Spike

I've had an Olympus Tough TG-2 for nearly 2 years now, and it's not let me down despite being regularly caked in mud, used underwater, left in a kitbag full of wet kit etc. and is still working fine. Some folk on here have recently got the newer TG-4 but they haven't seen oodles of active service yet I suppose. Could be a bad batch, or it might be something to watch out for on the newer ones...

I bought mine on clearance in Currys and paid an extra ?10 (I think) for a several year warranty. I can't remember exactly how long, but I figured that would make me less concerned about (ab)using it, so I wouldn't say I've been overly kind to mine. Manufacturer's warranty should cover what your friends experienced though...

royfellows

All fair comment but I would be wary of getting another dud and then being in a game of ping pong. Its not juster the OP who has been sold a dud.

In law its the retailer who is responsible and that's to whom the faulty goods should be returned for exchange or refund. Any manufacturers warranty is additional to your statutory rights.

TheBitterEnd

Had exactly that with a TG3 18 months ago, replaced by Amazon with no hassle and the replacement has been fine. I often carry it in my oversuit pocket and seems pretty tough.

Pitlamp

Whilst we're on the subject of these camera, I've got a TG1. This has been well used, has given good service - and still works fine.

The only pain is that in dim light the flash sometimes doesn't fire - typically when there's a bright patch in the field of view (e.g. a headlamp). This results in the rest of the field of view being under exposed.

Does anyone know how I can programme the thing to over-ride the camera's brain and force it to flash when I decide I want it to? (There's nothing to make it do this in the obvious menus.)

ogofmole

My TG-2 has been caving for a few years now, submerged in water and mud, plus it has survived a fall from the traverse line above the streamway in OFD1.

The Old Ruminator

Many thousands of cave images with my TG 2 now. ( OK I dont keep most of them ).  I have upgraded to the TG4 now but will keep the TG 2 for digs. The only trouble I have had was my fault. I dropped it 3m into an oozy puddle at the bottom of the dig. The silt here is very fine grained loess and it found its way into the little latches seizing them up as it dried. A bit of cleaning and 3 in 1 oil has loosened them up a bit. With everything you sometimes get a rogue. My brand new gas boiler broke down after 24 hours. Never seen that before said the repair man. ( faulty circuit board ).

A lark about shot in the dig this week with the TG2. ( Blimey those boulders look bad . )

ogofmole

The silt here is very fine grained loess and it found its way into the little latches seizing them up as it dried

vinegar works well for this sort of thing. But it does make the camera smell for a while.

The Old Ruminator

Thanks Mr O. Might try that. I think the loess combines with lime and makes a sort of cement when dry. You have to wash the oversuit before it dries out.

Antwan

Pitlamp said:
Whilst we're on the subject of these camera, I've got a TG1. This has been well used, has given good service - and still works fine.

The only pain is that in dim light the flash sometimes doesn't fire - typically when there's a bright patch in the field of view (e.g. a headlamp). This results in the rest of the field of view being under exposed.

Does anyone know how I can programme the thing to over-ride the camera's brain and force it to flash when I decide I want it to? (There's nothing to make it do this in the obvious menus.)

Without seeing one the only suggestion would be to look for a metering mode setting, and of its on Spot or Centre weighted change it to average or full scene etc..

Long Drop

Getting this thread back on track...

My friends TG4 was repaired by Olympus and my wife's was replaced by the dealer, both working cameras were returned about a week or ten days ago.  Great.

Both cameras have now been on a couple of gentle trips and both have now FAILED AGAIN!  Exactly the same fault, camera stops responding to any of the input controls on the back.

Very frustrating. There is clearly an inbuilt problem with these cameras. Big thumbs down from us; do not buy!  :thumbsdown:

mudman

I had that recently. Hadn't used it much then stopped responding. I removed the battery and replaced it and all was well. Hasn't misbehaved since.

sion

The lcd smashed on my tg3 after little force in my pocket, it was fixed under warranty and returned since then when flicking though on gallery mode the buttons misbehave and start flicking though settings photos etc by themselves

If it gets muddy it doesn't work either, especially the jog wheel stops functioning

Recently I have experienced fogging/moisture inside the lens, checked seals both very clean

Don't Recommend if your looking for something really strong but I've managed to get some nice photos along the way!

ZombieCake

Is it a fault with the cameras or are you expecting them to be bomb proof and therefore a little decadent with treatment?  I always treat anything electronic with a heathy degree of scepticism when it comes to alleged bulletproofness.
Internal fogging does due to temperature differentials can occur in any camera, but could be exacerbated if there is a leak.
It does sound like there could be a design fault if repeated problems so sale of goods act could be relevant here.
I take non-tough cameras in my over suit pocket with no problem.

The Old Ruminator

The old TG2 relegated to digging photos now and gets a right bashing. Cant seem to do it any harm though.

From this week.

This for the group email showing current work in hand and for future planning.