Sid Perou Video Collection

langcliffe

One of the more important caving collections is Sid Perou's video collection on Youtube, documenting as it does almost fifty years of British caving home and abroad. Unfortunately, Youtube doesn't provide the best facilities to allow the collection to be put into context, or to be given a structured presentation.

I have, therefore, added a page to the Collections Registry on the BCA Library website that is an attempt to overcome those disadvantages. It's basically a filmography of Sid's films which have an outdoor adventure and / or speleological bent, which is sortable by date, subject, and title, with links to Sid's Youtube channel where appropriate.

http://caving-library.org.uk/collections/sidperou.shtml

tamarmole

I've always enjoyed the Pippikin film, classic 70s caving - home made wetsuits, the chink of ladders on limestone texolex helmets, nife cells - magic.

Underground Eiger was always my favourite Sid film; doesn't seem to be available on Youtube.

langcliffe

tamarmole said:
Underground Eiger was always my favourite Sid film; doesn't seem to be available on Youtube.

'Underground Eiger' wasn't one of Sid Perou's films. It was a Yorkshire Television film directed by Barry Cockcroft with photography by Mostafa Hammuri. I believe that Lindsay Dodd worked on it, though.

tamarmole

langcliffe said:
tamarmole said:

'Underground Eiger' wasn't one of Sid Perou's films. It was a Yorkshire Television film directed by Barry Cockcroft with photography by Mostafa Hammuri. I believe that Lindsay Dodd worked on it, though.

I stand corrected.

paul

langcliffe said:
tamarmole said:

Excellent account of this in "The Adventures Of Another Pooh" by Dave Yeandle.

langcliffe

As an extension to Sid Perou's filmography available on the British Caving Library website, the videos are now viewed on a BCL web page rather than providing a link through to Youtube. This is partly because I dislike the standard YouTube page; partly so that I could create a video window of the right size depending on the film format; and partly so that I could provide a description for each of the films to allow search engines to index the films according to the requirements of the caving community - mainly locations and cavers. I have also tried to identify the awards that the individual films received.

If anyone comes across any sins of omission or commission in the descriptions, please let me know.

http://caving-library.org.uk/collections/sidperou.shtml

Minion

The audio has been removed from 'Exploring the Great Indoors' by YouTube due to copyright issues.

Would it be possible to get the video re-uploaded again?

Thanks

langcliffe

Minion said:
The audio has been removed from 'Exploring the Great Indoors' by YouTube due to copyright issues.

Would it be possible to get the video re-uploaded again?

Thanks

We can't do anything, I'm sorry to say.  The British Caving Library website just dynamically embeds videos from Sid Perou's Youtube channel into its own transaction.

Minion

I had a feeling that may be the case :confused:

Surely there is someone on the forum who could get in contact with Sid?

langcliffe

Minion said:
I had a feeling that may be the case :confused:

Surely there is someone on the forum who could get in contact with Sid?

Sid is aware, but he is unlikely to want to get involved in copyright disputes.

Wet Spaniel

I just wanted to say thanks for posting this link, and to give it a gentle nudge back to the hoop in case so one hasn't spotted it.  I've got the tv linked to the internet and I'm having a fantastic trip back down memory lane.  I used to love watching Sid's films with my dad

Speleotron

The Troll Wall video has been blocked in the UK by Kontor New Media music on copyright grounds, I'm guessing Sid used one of their songs on the video? Or they could just be copyright trolls. It's a shame as that was my favorite. Can anyone see it from abroad?