• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Lancaster hole route ?

todcaver

Hi all , just wandered what is the easiest route out of Lancaster hole other than climb back up the rope ? any advice /pointers much appreciated, cheers  :)

molerat

If you want to avoid ascending pitches then Wretched Rabbit is the answer. However, going back up Lancaster Hole will use far less energy than any other option!

Fulk

It depends on what is rigged / what you or your friends rig / where you get to in the cave. But simply prusiking out of Lancaster Hole is certainly less strenuous than coming out of Wretched Rabbit (which you don't need to rig, as there are in-situ ropes).

David Rose

Wretched Rabbit also involves quite a bit route-finding. The through trip is an excellent excursion, though, especially if done via Wilf Taylor's passage and the lower main streamway. I recently did it with my 12 year old son and a trem including Badlad of this forum, and a good time was had by all. 

Fulk

One thing  that you can't do is simply abb down Lancaster Hole and pop out of a nearby exit (like, say, abbing through Yordas Pot). As Dave remarks, route-finding is likely to be a big problem if you don't know the system; and watch it down the Main Stream Passage ? I was recently down there in moderately high water conditions and got knocked off my feet in one of the swirl pools, being dragged round like a sock in a washing machine. Given that the water was snow melt, it was a very unpleasant experience.

Going back up Lancaster isn't that hard compared to traversing the system for an alternative exit. If you're prepared to traverse the system might I suggest turning things on their head and going in via Pool Sink (Pull through possible) and climbing out of a pre-rigged Lancaster Hole? It's a great trip but if you don't know the system then route finding could be frustrating / tiring / time consuming.

Dan.

Inferus

Have to agree with most of the above, the simplest/easiest way out is a very straightforward ~30m prussik back up Lancaster Hole!

tamarmole

danthecavingman said:
Going back up Lancaster isn't that hard compared to traversing the system for an alternative exit. If you're prepared to traverse the system might I suggest turning things on their head and going in via Pool Sink (Pull through possible) and climbing out of a pre-rigged Lancaster Hole? It's a great trip but if you don't know the system then route finding could be frustrating / tiring / time consuming.

Dan.

Second that - Pool sink is a great  and underrated trip - one of my all time favourites. 

Over the Hill

todcaver said:
Hi all , just wandered what is the easiest route out of Lancaster hole other than climb back up the rope ? any advice /pointers much appreciated, cheers  :)

In Bite Sized Chunks over differing weekends having read up descriptions/take surveys, go and do differing routes with care and competent friends.
Go into Easegill via County Pot and find the Manchester bypass. Enter the high level series and come out same way.
Go into Easegill via Wretched Rabbit, find Stop Pot and climb fixed ladder, enter the high level series and find Manchester bypass, come out.
Start entering the High Level Series and enjoy finding route to Lancaster Hole. Once you are familiar, abb down Lancaster and come out of Easegill.

Or as it takes years to understand the system do as we did years ago, join a good club with members who already know the system who can quickly pass on its secrets.  :coffee:

todcaver

Thanks all , very helpful / interesting
Can anyone confirm if it's 30 m to climb out
Or is it 55 m like I've seen on a rigging guide ? :cautious:
Thanks again

JasonC

It is (more or less) 30m to climb.  The 55m relates to the rope for rigging, with a generous allowance for belays at the top and the rebelay at the ledge 5m or so down.
I'm sure you can manage with a fair bit less than that actually...

If you're determined to avoid prussiking, then as suggested above, Wretched Rabbit is the only (sensible) way out.  Lancs to WR is a fine trip, but if you're unfamiliar with Easegill and you don't have a guide, you'd be doing very well not to get lost :)

caving_fox

JasonC said:
It is (more or less) 30m to climb.  The 55m relates to the rope for rigging, with a generous allowance for belays at the top and the rebelay at the ledge 5m or so down.
I'm sure you can manage with a fair bit less than that actually...

If you're determined to avoid prussiking, then as suggested above, Wretched Rabbit is the only (sensible) way out.  Lancs to WR is a fine trip, but if you're unfamiliar with Easegill and you don't have a guide, you'd be doing very well not to get lost :)

The Braemoor written guides, is surprisingly useful - the best I've ever come across - to navigating with very little prior system knowledge. Obviously if you do go off route you're pretty screwed, but I have done the through trip using just that.