• Descent 298 publication date

Our June/July issue will be published on Saturday 8 June

Now with four extra pages as standard. If you want to receive it as part of your subscription, make sure you sign up or renew by Monday 27 May.

Click here for more

Cave for a wet day?

Madness

It looks like being a wet weekend. Can anyone recommend a decent SRT trip for novices that's suitable for rainy weather?

PeteHall

What part of the country and how "novice" are you talking?

I would reckon a decent SRT trip, or any SRT trip for that matter, wasn't a "novice" trip...

damian

Why not have a look at: http://www.eurospeleo.uk/caves/descriptions.php

Look for trips graded 0-2 for wet weather and 0-2 for technical difficulty ... you may decide to stretch to a "3" in either or both of these categories?

(Just noticed the Valley Entrance to Master Cave grade is a 0 for wet weather ... that was written on the basis it was to the Master Cave and not in it, but I don't think that's clear ... probably needs changing!

Alex

Its a real shame that none Wharfedale/Nidderdale or any caves on that side feature on that list. There are some excellent caves though most you would not want to go down in wet weather we are having tommorow, I feel they are generally missed out both in visits and modern bolting, with one or two exceptions.

tamarmole

Brains said:
Lancaster
Cow Pot
Jingling Pot
Bull Pot of the Witches
Bar Pot

The mention of Lancaster reminds me - the Graveyard series in Lancaster is a good wet weather trip and somewhere not many people seem to go.

ianball11

Alex said:
Its a real shame that none Wharfedale/Nidderdale or any caves on that side feature on that list. There are some excellent caves though most you would not want to go down in wet weather we are having tommorow, I feel they are generally missed out both in visits and modern bolting, with one or two exceptions.

Why don't you offer to lead a trip Alex?  I'm sure Eurospeleo being at the Dalesbridge centre and featuring the GG winch has a bearing on which caves were arranged as an exhibition of Dales caving.  I bet there must be lots of Europeans who fancy a Dowbergill trip?

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
It's not looking very wet in Ingleton at the moment and the forecast seems to have eased.

Marble Steps sidewinder and gully are good for srt.  No real need to go beyond the 90' which is a tight awkward take off.  Just play around in the entrance series.

Madness

Thanks for the suggestions. It wasn't as bad as the forecast suggested. Didn't go caving though. Went for a walk instead. Walking tomorrow, so perhaps caving on Monday

JasonC

tamarmole said:
The mention of Lancaster reminds me - the Graveyard series in Lancaster is a good wet weather trip and somewhere not many people seem to go.

Second that  (y)

- but I would dispute that Cow Pot (mentioned above) is any kind of a novice trip...

Alex

It is a bit of a bugger, but if its rigged right its not too bad. Just be grateful you are not me and packed the wrong length rope and had to changeover 5m from the floor. So near but so far. The hardest bit of the cow trip is that climb through the hole near the entrance pitch.

ianball11

I agree!  I went there once and spent the whole trip of a few hours wondering how I would get back up that tube! In the end, it didn't take me that long but I was very happy to take it seriously and take off my srt kit, I reckon if I'd tried it with it on, it would have been a different story.