• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Swildons birthday squeeze mesurements

thenuttygang

Hi all.
Please can anyone tell me the true measurements for the birthday squeeze?
I have a trip coming up with a larger gentleman who wants to come along.  I don't want to waste his time,  let alone the effort.
Please help.
r

Brains

I am XXL - about 46+" chest and fitted through OK - once in a caving oversuit and furry and once I took my wetsuit top off...

PaulW

I can safely say if he is bigger than me he wont fit, took a fair bit of commitment for me to get through, either that or i'm a crap caver  :LOL: :LOL:

badger

I am also 46" chest, I got through with the help of 2 cavers wedged in the passage and me pushing like made, think it is not just chest size but body shape, I am very barrel shaped and yes not just in the chest but tummy as well Mr PW. suppose it comes down to how committed you are in a tight space,

PeteHall

My brother is 6'4" and of reasonable chest size, he couldn't get through on his front, but went (with a push) on his back, so as above, might also depend on body shape as much as a chest measurement.

By the way, before someone else points it out, if I am not mistaken it is "Not the Birthday Squeeze". The "Birthday Squeeze" is no longer a squeeze and forms the final duck of the Short Round Trip.

PaulW

At least it was this millenium you fitted through there Badger, unlike some you claimed to have fitted through  :LOL:

chunky

Also a barrel chested 46+" chest. Not sure you could be much more than this to get through at my shape.

Have always needed to go through on my back and most times require someone to wedge in so I can push off. Exhale, push, relax, repeat, and keep high as possible.

First time I felt pretty panicky getting through. It is a head game if you are a larger caver. The key is learning to relax and trust the people you're with.....Don't cave with anyone I cave with!  :chair: ;)

mrodoc

The older you get the worse it gets. I last did it on the 50th Anniversary trip and did it uphill on my back - something of an epic and needed a fair bit of assistance. It depends how squishable your chest is as when I was younger I thought nothing of it.

ALEXW

I have quite a deep chest and I struggled, I resorted to removing my over suit and under suit and squeezed through wearing only boxer shorts, wellies and socks. The squeeze is polished and smooth so I was un-scarred. The person following was probably scarred for life. :eek:

topcat

I'm only  42 chest bit found it quite hard, wearing neofleece and over suit.  But my spine is less flexible after being  broken 3 times!!

Another 46" here...been through a number of times - but its always a struggle usually involves stripping the oversuit off and getting down to a neofleece...

44" Chester here, done on back head first. Seemed intimidating first time and it defo contacted me front and back - but the narrowest bit seems quite short. Stay high.

wormster

Whatever size you are it doesne matter, I always go through, helmet off face up upslope (that way your feets have summat to push against instead if flailing about like a vestal virgin at an orgy!)

badger

wormster, I agree with your technique, but if your my shape and my size you are going to find it very snug, when I say snug I mean finding some caving mates to push against and patience of moving an inch at a time, if your any bigger, than it will probably be the odd cracked rib

wormster

badger said:
when I say snug I mean finding some caving mates to push against and patience of moving an inch at a time

Yup I've had to be downslope pushing Jakey into the right place for him to get through! I suppose I'm lucky being somewhat of a "Racing Snake" I can just mosey on through!

David Rose

Like others who have posted here, I never noticed it when I was younger. Now I might. How would it compare with other well known awkward bits on Mendip? With, say, the Letterbox in Longwood? Or the (now enlarged) Upper Flood choke?

Duncan S

caving_fox said:
It's distinctly larger than the letterbox at longwood. Probably by a couple of inches.
I was going to post the other way around!
The Letterbox is awkward, but I didn't find it tight...

Worst part about the letterbox is being tall - coming back up head first the dog-leg is an interesting problem to solve.