• BCA Finances

An informative discussion

Recently there was long thread about the BCA. I can now post possible answers to some of the questions, such as "Why is the BCA still raising membership prices when there is a significant amount still left in its coffers?"

Click here for more

CNCC and Individual Cavers

Cavematt

Hi Everyone

Since the formation of the CNCC in 1963 we have, by our very name, worked mostly with clubs. However, as long as I have been attending CNCC meetings (about five years now) there has been a desire to create a greater emphasis to represent the needs of all cavers, including those who are active in the sport outside of a club structure.

This has so far included abolition of some permits and extending of others to allow individuals to apply for them (already in place on Ingleborough, and work underway to try to extend this to Casterton and Leck). We have always tried to emphasise that our meetings are open ones, and there are several cavers who do not always (or at all) cave as part of a club who attend our meetings and make substantial contributions, including taking on Officer and Representative roles.

At our next Annual General Meeting (11th March 2017, Hellifield Village Institute, 10am) we will, for the first time, be electing a member to our Committee the role of who will be to provide a voice for those who cave outside of a club.

This representative (called the Individual Caver (IC) representative) can be any BCA member caver (CIM or DIM). They will be elected NOT by the voting clubs, but instead by all BCA DIMs present at the meeting. They will be expected to try to attend the three Committee meetings that we have each year (usually in Hellifield) and to provide input and proposals for how the CNCC can be working to better serve the needs of all cavers, and not just those within clubs.

If you are interested in standing for this role, you need to submit to me notification of your intention to stand (email is fine, email address on CNCC website) by 14th January, with a statement of why you are standing for the role that can be circulated. You would ideally need to be able to attend the AGM itself. If you would like to discuss the role then please feel free to drop me an email.

Any BCA DIMs who are interested in voting for this representative are welcome to come the meeting (bring your BCA card to hold up for voting with). A list of all applicants will be available in the agenda which will be on our website six weeks before the meeting (by 15th January).

Thanks everyone

Matt Ewles
Secretary, Council of Northern Caving Clubs