Best Caving Clubs to join as a novice??

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Hi All,

Asking for your help again please...

Which caving clubs would you recommend to someone new to our sport to join?  Best for encouraging and helping novices learn the ropes (excuse the pun, couldn't help myself  ;) )

I'm trying to compile a list and would like to cover all caving areas.

Thank you, Pegasus

ZombieCake

Mendip Caving Group in Somerset is a good'un.  Great for access to Mendip caves and good accommodation to boot.  Beginners welcome as we all had to start somewhere.

Brains

It is worth mentioning in passing that a small group of interested people (a family, a couple of climbers or hillwalkers, etc) could get a good intro through a professional route. With modern techniques and kit, and a bit of cash, 2 or 3 people can manage most trips in the UK if they wish so. The downside is the lack of social contact, access to the vast knowledge stocks, and the general camraderie

crickleymal

Banging the GSS drum, we offer trips from novice upwards on a regular basis, SRT training and monthly socials with a variety of speakers.

mudman

Brynmawr Caving Club are an active club based in the valleys of South Wales. A lot of local knowledge and caving experience.
Novices are always welcome and club members are always ready and willing to show them 'the ropes' and the local and not so local caves.
Oh, and 50 years old this year so a lot of history as well.

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
@ Zombiecake and mudman - perfect, just what I'm after

@ Brains - I don't disagree with you, it's certainly one way folks can get caving, however could still do with a list of clubs  :)

@ cricklemal - just so I don't make any daft mistakes GSS stands for??

Thanks, Pegasus

Pitlamp

As a general principle, there is a lot to be said for pointing people at any club which has its own hostel. (Obviously there are many first class clubs which don't - but having a base to head for on a weekend brings an extra dimension which would benefit a newcomer in a great many ways for years to come.)

caving_fox

Pitlamp makes a good point.

The alternative point is that it's good for complete newcomers to join their most local club, so that they can attend social meets, easily get to try on gear, and arrange shared transport etc.

Cambridge Caving and Climbing club (non-uni if it matters) is very welcoming, good at easing beginners into trips they can cope with and runs weekend trips once a month, and ideally placed to visit all of the main caving areas.

Rubber duck caving club is based in S Manchester, not quite as organised! but equally welcoming, with a good set of gear to borrow, and Pete's wall to practise SRT on!

rhychydwr1

I have a list of British Caving Clubs date 2007, yes ten years old and completely out of date.  I am sure most of them accept novice, some even take wemmen.

Maj

We at the Mendip Nature Research Committee (MNRC) welcome new members, we'll introduce them to the club and  caving, show them the ropes. As well as in house training we make good use of local caving instructors for the more technical aspects ie SRT. In addition to caving on Mendip and other regions, we get up to few other activities inc.
animated-smileys-sport-053.gif
animated-smileys-leisure-048.gif
animated-smileys-leisure-026.gif
animated-smileys-drinking-025.gif
to mention a few. You can usually find some of us serving behind the bar at Hidden Earth each year  :beer:
One of the oldest clubs in the country (shut up Les  :tease:) at 111 years old. Our base is near Green Ore, Well, where we have a well appointed club hut for guests and members.
http://www.mnrc.org.uk/

Maj.

Antwan

I'll mention the YSS but you probably already know that.

Our own Hostel, SRT training wall and a very friendly CIC as our training officer (as well as many other members who are CIC's, rescue team members and just plain expierenced folk willing to show people the ropes)

Regular meets and socials, and an excellent pub next door  :)

tamarmole

Plymouth Caving Group is a novice friendly club.  We are active in Devon and Cornwall. The club runs weekly Tuesday night cave and mine trips many of which are suitable for novices plus trips further afield.

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Antwan said:
I'll mention the YSS but you probably already know that.

Our own Hostel, SRT training wall and a very friendly CIC as our training officer (as well as many other members who are CIC's, rescue team members and just plain expierenced folk willing to show people the ropes)

Regular meets and socials, and an excellent pub next door  :)

Thanks, Antwan.

Folks, please don't assume I know certain clubs to include on a list.  Obviously I know of many famous clubs - the Bradford as an example, however I don't know for sure which are novice friendly and there are some on this thread mentioned already I certainly wouldn't have thought of.  Don't spare my blushes - state the obvious  ;)  It's all in a good cause so all help much appreciated, thank you  (y)

NeilC

As a newcomer to caving myself, I would definitely second the YSS as a good suggestion.  I've found the club to be very friendly and welcoming, particularly as unlike many, it doesn't have an arcane procedure for joining (e.g. attending x many meets, being proposed, seconded and thirded, sleeping with x many committee members etc).  The club also offers an annual Try Caving weekend and as stated by the previous poster, has a fantastic hut and a great training officer.  Highly recommended.

complex

The Shepton Mallet Caving Club welcome new members. We have a recently refurbished hut on the Mendips with fantastic facilities and arrange regular weekends caving - either "home" on the Mendips or "away" to other caving regions. We run "new member" weekends where people can try caving with us - either as a complete novice, or as someone who has been caving before and is looking for a club to join.

Our huts is the closest hut to the centre of the caving universe (otherwise known as the Hunters Lodge Inn).

One of the things I found most off putting when trying to join a caving club was the whole "just turn up at the club and find a trip to go on". I know loads of folk have done this, but it seems quite intimidating.  Also the whole "proposal / seconding thing" put me off.

I joined the Rubber Duck Caving Club as I received a call from the Secretary Pete the evening of the day I emailed them, I was at a club meeting the next weekend, round his house the day after the meeting for an intro SRT day on his wall (plus sandwiches and a brew) and my first trip was a very wet SRT trip down P8.  Hooked, immediately.  It's not about wanting everything on a plate, its about being really welcoming to new people.

Thoroughly recommend RDCC for new cavers. Equally I don't recommend them for very experienced cavers as its a very newbie / sport trip based club - if you want epics, expeditions and digging (although some of the RDCC do all of the above) then there are bigger and better clubs.

But for interested folk based in Manchester / Stockport - give us a shout.