• Descent 298 publication date

Our June/July issue will be published on Saturday 8 June

Now with four extra pages as standard. If you want to receive it as part of your subscription, make sure you sign up or renew by Monday 27 May.

Click here for more

will there ever be anything done to stop global warming

will there ever be anything done to stop global warming

• yes

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • no

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • yes but only when there are serious problems

Votes: 20 55.6%
  • no on cares about global warming so no one will help stop it

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • how am i to know?

Votes: 6 16.7%

• Total voters

Jagman

I sincerely hope not.
I have yet to see the slightest bit of evidence that it actually exists as described, history has seen far greater climate change than we do now.
Was global warming to blame for the end of the last ice age?
Every time a volcano erupts it negates any efforts man makes to pollute or clean up the planet.
Global warming is a result of mankind's activities? I don't think so. At best it's un-supported hypothesis at worst its simply a cynical exercise to generate taxation.

Elaine

There is plenty of evidence in the geological record to confirm that changes in C02 are linked to changes in global temperature. I don't think there is any problem accepting that C02 is a greenhouse gas and the effect on the earth's temperature that greenhouse gases have either.

It is possible that we could be having a natural increase in global temperature, but I think it is highly unlikely that our C02 emmisions have not greatly added to that given the facts above. So it seems to me a 'head in the sand' approach to ignore this problem.

However, society will not change anything like enough to make any difference, so we all know we are doomed.

cap n chris

In our lifetimes we're not doomed; marginal coastal areas may become inundated by repeated flooding and arid conditions may overcome other areas but, hey!, people are adaptable - "We've had worse". Vigorous weather resulting from increased energy in itself isn't the end of the world.

The old Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times" is perhaps applicable - there are plenty of other things apart from global warming to worry about: the present run up to the demographically determined post-war baby boom 2011 pensions-fuelled economic recession, compounding the presently increasing and already unsustainable taxation levels (hardly helped by the black hole of the 2012 Olympics), tipping those with staggering personal debt into LVA/bankruptcy, the loss of indigenous fuel resources and almost total reliance on imported energy, the Peak Oil spiral, the risk caused by pandemics spread by international aviation, the imminent likelihood of nuclear exchanges between Iran and Israel, similarly for Korea and its neighbours, an enduring civil war in Iraq seeding continuing terrorist cells against western targets, the near collapse of European manufacturing industries unable to compete with lower overheads in emergent economic superpowerhouses such as China and India, spiralling population growth resulting in mass starvations and the risk of accompanying genocides in increasing frequency and severity in African nations already affecting Zimbabwe, Somalia, Sudan, Madagascar, Mauritania, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Malawi, Zambia, Lesotho etc.;  the increasing burden to health and economic productivity caused by avoidable lifestyle conditions such as obesity/diabetes and skin cancer etc.; the economic emigration of (presently) 10% of our population who already find the costs here intolerable, an unsustainable escalation in house prices showing classic hallmarks of a looming collapse, a "lost generation" caused by people needing to hold parenthood back until established on the "housing ladder" thereby meaning they are in their 40s before having children (placing a heavy burden on NHS I/V clinics), the ineffectiveness of most antibiotics (caused by previous widespread overprescription) against multiply resistant bacterium etc. etc.. 

These more tangible effects are of greater immediate importance, as far as I am concerned, than the weather. Why not worry yourself instead about the effects of meteorite impacts and tsunami/earthquakes?

paul

Jagman said:
I sincerely hope not.
I have yet to see the slightest bit of evidence that it actually exists as described, history has seen far greater climate change than we do now.
Every time a volcano erupts it negates any efforts man makes to pollute or clean up the planet.
Global warming is a result of mankind's activities? I don't think so. At best it's un-supported hypothesis at worst its simply a cynical exercise to generate taxation.

There is no theory that average temperatures are increasing. There is no theory that the rate of increase is greater than any known time in the past. These are factual measurements.

Have you any evidence of a similar increase in average temperature globally which happened in the past?

B

boycy

Heard of this the other day: http://www.whytraveltofrance.com/?p=715

On February 1, they are asking citizens to please turn off all of your lights from 7:55pm to 8pm. This means all of your lights including unplugging surge protectors and night lights, as well as turning off or simply unplugging televisions completely. (Many televisions in France have a red light on even when the television is turned off.)

This is 1855 tonight UK time, it's not a lot but it will highlight the difference that can be made if lots of people make small changes.
Worth a go!

D

Dep

cap 'n chris said:
In our lifetimes we're not doomed; marginal coastal areas may become inundated by repeated flooding and arid conditions may overcome other areas but, hey!, people are adaptable - "We've had worse". Vigorous weather resulting from increased energy in itself isn't the end of the world.

The old Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times" is perhaps applicable -
These more tangible effects are of greater immediate importance, as far as I am concerned, than the weather. Why not worry yourself instead about the effects of meteorite impacts and tsunami/earthquakes?

I woke up today feeling very up-beat - that post has put me back in my place! :)
But yes, you're quite right.

Peter Burgess

"will there ever be anything done to stop global warming?"

How long does it take to stop and reverse a supertanker?

If we start with the premise that the current global warming is anthrogenic, then it's taken over 200 years to get it going to the stage we have noticed anything happening. Will it take another 200 years to slow it down and reverse it? Or longer? More time than even the youngest forum member will have to see it happen.

There's one whole lot of inertia in the system.

D

Dep

We can be fairly sure that adding extra CO2 will have a greenhouse effect.
And we can see that global temperatures are indeed rising.
They may well be related - but this is by no means certain.
The fossil record shows that temperatures have fluctuated more widely in geological history.

But whatever the cause/effect global warming will sort itself out irrespective of the human race.
Either we will adapt and live with it - or we won't and we'll become less abundant and possibly extinct
But life on Earth will carry on with or without us...

As the great Western European countries decline their self-righteous stance on fossil CO2 pollution, whilst worthy, will have little discernable impact against Chinese and Asian emissions as their economies gear up.

And even if the UK and its consuming population were removed from the map completely our resulting zero emissions would not be noticed by the rest of the World.

I am far more concerned about how I will pay my way as a pensioner and where my children will live than how far away the sea is!

Elaine

Dep said:
The fossil record shows that temperatures have fluctuated more widely in geological history.

The fossil record also shows that there have been 5 mass extinctions in geological history. Funnily enough, they were related to climate change.

I do accept though that all this happens on a very much larger time scale, and humankind will have found an alternative way to cut its numbers right down way before then. Just look at Cap'n Chris' post for a few options!

AndyF

Jagman said:
I sincerely hope not.

Well. it's 8.5 degrees today outside my door, the daffodils are out, so are the Snowdrops. The birds are singing, and building nests. It's a lovely day.  Its the 31st of January in the Peak distict.

Sorry, but if you haven't seen the "slightest bit of evidence", then you need to look with better eyes....

Peter Burgess

If there is one thing that consistently comes out of careful research it is that sea-level is always on the move. There are two principle reasons for this - tectonic movements, and growth and decline of ice sheets. Only since man has dared to draw static maps of coastlines has the presumption been made that coastlines shouldn't change. The Romans and Normans landed on the Sussex coast at places where it would be impossible today. That's no more than 2000 years ago. Nothing to do with global warming, but did you know that Columbus had to sail 80 metres less than he would today to get to the other side of the Atlantic? Nothing stays the same. [Or perhaps it was 80 feet.]

As to whether the changes are influenced by human activity is another question. But sooner or later, there was going to be a change even by natural means.

whitelackington

I heard today that "WE" are planning to teach 2,000,000 extra immigrants, English
so they can be more help with our economy.
If Global warming is happening, it is thought that something of the order of 20% of Englands land will be lost to the sea.
This will be the most agriculturally productive land.
As peak oil is next year, after that there will always be less oil and it will soon become rapidly more expensive.
It will not just be England that loses it lowlands but many other countries.
As oil becomes ludicrously expensive and other countries need to keep the food they grow for their own, ever increasing populations, it is obvious we will soon find it very difficult to import food.
As people and agriculture will then be fighting for the remaining land.
WHY DO WE NEED MORE Immigrants.
When we are fighting to exist on less land with less food and water  WHY
This nonsense of Growth, it is sustainability we should be going for.

C

Cave Monkey

Trees, cattle and volcano's are the biggest factors in our climate.

Unless you want to stop trees producing CO2 and methane, stick a bung in every cows arse and cap every volcano, our climate will carry on with its little rollercoaster cycle.

I think its amusing that we as a species think we can control this rock we live on.

Jagman

AndyF said:
Jagman said:
I sincerely hope not.

Well. it's 8.5 degrees today outside my door, the daffodils are out, so are the Snowdrops. The birds are singing, and building nests. It's a lovely day.  Its the 31st of January in the Peak distict.

Sorry, but if you haven't seen the "slightest bit of evidence", then you need to look with better eyes....

I agree, its warm for January......
But if you take look at the so often qouted statistics you will find that January of 1916 was equally as warm.
Climate change common throughout history, I have no doubt we are suffering from it but I dispute the claimed causes, mankinds impact is small compsred to natural factors.
If we turned out all the lights and scrapped all the cars it would make little difference, nobody had produced any evidence to the contrary as far as I can see.
Unusualy I find myself in agreement with Cap'n Chris, its the least of the problems facing our world today :-\

W

wormster

Cave Monkey said:
I think its amusing that we as a species think we can control this rock we live on.

My sentiments exactley,  :clap:

you've only got to look at the awesome power of the south Aisan Tsunami a few years ago,

do we as a puny race think that we can control a force as devastating as that :confused:

numpties the lot of you we're in arelativley warm period, its going to get colder then we'll all feel the freeze.