• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Digging near Doveholes

Mark

Is any one digging an ole, just by the left hand side of the road, as you go down from the Wanted Inn just before the roundabout on the A6

T

T pot 1

saw a guy a few weeks back mixing concrete and installing what looked like a lid, could'nt stop because i was working
the mineral rights to that area are owned by a company i know, they are looking into what is happening there

T pot

nickwilliams

There is supposedly a rising and falling well somewhere on that side of the road near to where the hole you are referring to is located. I wonder if it's something to with that?

Nick.

SamT

As far as I know the rising and falling well (one of the seven wonders of the peak district) is just opposite the disussed hotel. IIRC - that false lake f**ked up the hydrology there.

I've always wondered if the rising and falling of the well is somehow related to the pulse you get in speedwell at the whirl pool.
Seems unlikely - but you never know!!

shotlighter

SamT said:
As far as I know the rising and falling well (one of the seven wonders of the peak district) is just opposite the disussed hotel. IIRC - that false lake f**ked up the hydrology there.

I've always wondered if the rising and falling of the well is somehow related to the pulse you get in speedwell at the whirl pool.
Seems unlikely - but you never know!!
Something to do with the fabled "Lost Swallet" perhaps?
Incidentally what was that old tower like construction on the hill behind the lake. There's not much left of it nowadays - anyone know?

SamT

Yeah - I remember - Gritstone/Sandstone square tower. Very much like the one above the primary school in hathersage.

Technically known as a 'folly' I think

Mrs Trellis

Bennetston Hall? I had a lunch in that place - mid 70's perhaps iirc. It was like Fawlty Towers inside.

iirc the last owner got into a ruinous legal dispute with a builder over roof repairs.

The accounts of drilling Doveholes tunnel state that an large aquifer was intersected iirc.

SamT

Bennetston Hall

As far back as 1586 Elizabethan historian William Camden, was writing about the Wonders of the Peak, naming nine of them in his Britannia. Thomas Hobbes published his De Mirabilibus Pecci: Concerning the Wonders of the Peak in Darby-shire in 1636, followed by Charles Cotton's The Wonders of the Peak in 1681, probably the first successful guidebook to the region. The Wonders were Pooles Cavern and St Annes's Well at Buxton, Peak Cavern at Castleton, Eldon Hole, Mam tor, the Ebbing and Flowing Well at Barmoor Clough, Peak Forest and later Chatsworth House.

http://uk.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?place=SK08437972&db=grid&scale=25000&GridE=408430&GridN=379720&coordsys=gb&mapsize=big&cat=des

Pictures at http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=11451

Recent history according to my dad whom had dealings via the national park - some nutter bought the place in the early 1970s, and built that dam. Totally without planning permission from the Peak and also messing up the Hydrology of the Ebb.... Got into lots of trouble with the PNPark. The place ended up going to rack and ruin - with disputes with builders, insurance based fires etc. The guy ended up living in a caravan on the drive way there and eventually went to prison (according to my dad). He thinks he may even be dead now.

So there you go.

PS - When people talk about the 'Dove holes' railway tunnel and the fabled underground stream - one assumes its the tunnel much nearer Dove holes station - and not the curved one at the Barmoor Clough roundabout

Mrs Trellis

I thought he'd had trouble with the PNP - he had a poster on the end of the drive. He got a bum deal with the roofer though.

Yup Sam -  it was the Midland Railway tunnel taking the Manchester - Derby & London (via Miller's Dale, Monsal dale and Bakewell ) line under the limestone (mostly) from Chapel towards Smalldale.
The NW entrance is under Martinside on your map.

It would have been interesting to see whether the flow at Wormhill springs diminished after the tunnel was built.

Running NW/SE here

D

DARBY

Spotted it today definately looks like a dig. Is that you Mr Noble and if so how the devil are you and Wendy and is the cottage finished. Been very busy with new business but just invested in a couple of new ropes to give this caving thing a bash. See you are digging again if you need a hand give us a shout would be a pleasure. hopefully speak to you soon Andy

T

T pot 1

Hey up Mark

This dig is ongoing, cannot for the life of me think of the guys name. The dig is on a fault line and should intersect a lead rake some distance along the fault.
If you look at a one to 2500 os map you can see the line of the rake
personnaly i don't think it will go very far, its on the wrong side of the dip of the limestone / gritstone contact, but i may be wrong.
The dips in the limestone undercut the gritstone at this point and would not connect with wormhill springs.
Further up in Dove Holes at the cross roads where the Queens Head is the beds then start dipping to the east which may then reach wormhill springs.
Just a point of referance head towards Dove Holes from Barmoor Clough and take the first left up the track you will come to the top of Bee Low
There are several large abandoned swallow holes that are very well fluted (water worn) but full of scrap cars and fencing these are on the dip of the limestone beds that head towards Peak Forest and by my way of thinking should cross Perry Dale towards Eldon Hole

T pot

T

T pot 1

Just remembered the guys name, Mark something or other  he works for a bearing company in Chesterfield

T pot

Goydenman

PS - When people talk about the 'Dove holes' railway tunnel and the fabled underground stream - one assumes its the tunnel much nearer Dove holes station - and not the curved one at the Barmoor Clough roundabout

John North and I went in one Christmas day when we thought no trains from/to the quarry would be running to find the stream inside the tunnel. We kept thinking we could hear a train coming but as we got further in we realised it was the stream. Unfortunately it was tanking too much to attempt a climb up into the rift to follow it so we left. Having got out the tunnel and half way up the banking to our surprise a train came out of the tunnel, close thing. We also investigated most of the holes around Doveholes including the sink in someone's garden!