• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Elastic Fantastic

paulf

Elastic Fantastic doe's anyone remember it ?
It was from an Article in Descent describing a different type of ascending in SRT.
It included attaching a Basic Petzl Jammer into a foot harness & working a bit like rope Walking.
Here my memory becomes blurred "I think the bit of Elastic pulled up your normal hand Jammer from over your Shoulder" I could be wrong it was in my Drunken Caving days in the 80's  :-\
Anyone able to remind me ?
I found the Foot harness at my Dad's house I remember giving it a go in the Trees at Whernside but never got round to it Underground.
Did it work all right ? It seemed a bit Awkward on Changeovers ?  :unsure:

Ed W

I remember something called "fantastico elastico" which is probably the same stuff.  I also remember getting hold of a set of instructions for cobbling together a pseudo rope walking kit from your standard frog rig by using some form of bondage involving quite long lengths of the stuff.

Never used it underground as my technical knitting skills ensured that all I managed to achieve was to hang upsidedown hopelessly tangled with the rope from the tree at the back of the hut.

My other recollection is that an "wise mate" told me when I started SRT that Fantasico Elastico was just the thing for securing my rigging spanner to an inner tube band on my arm.  On the very first trip the spanner caught on a hangar after I had tightened it, and then pinged off into my face...  I have used a bit of string ever since!

damian

It sounds like you're thinking of the "simple" way of switching a frog-style SRT rig to a more ropewalking-style one as follows:

• attach a 3rd jammer to the inside of your ankle using some tape sling (or nowadays buy a Petzl Pantin)
  • roughly halve the length of your standard footloop so the upper jammer is now below the croll at about knee height
  • attach a piece of elastic from the top of the upper jammer up, over your shoulder and back down to the back of your harness

You now have the abiltiy to climb as if walking up stairs and the upper jammer is automatically pulled upwards when you bend your knee by the elastic. It is also then quite easy to switch back to normal frog mode. My experience of it is the same as with all ropewalking methods I've tried ... not much use in most of GB.

By the way, I seem to remember an insert in a Caving Supplies catalogue that explained the above with diagrams. Maybe this is where you remember it from, Ed W.

paul

damian said:
By the way, I seem to remember an insert in a Caving Supplies catalogue that explained the above with diagrams. Maybe this is where you remember it from, Ed W.

You are correct there. Phil Brown (prop. of Caving Supplies) was quite in favour of this set-up. Possibly in order to sell you another jammer! :)

paulf

That's how it was done  (y)
I still can't remember where it was I saw it  :-\ but at least others tried it out.
Thanks A lot