Looking for Cavers local to Bath

paulf

Hi a friend of mine recently started Uni at Bath he's a very competent Caver.  (y)
I told him to check out ukCaving & ask about some trips Midweek maybe.
He can drive but has no vehicle in Bath at the moment. I'm Caving with him this Wk/end & will pass on any info.
Cheers Paul

D

darkplaces

Plenty of old stone mines to explore in and near the city of Bath. Check out c**tplaces.co.uk for details, try www.c**tplaces.co.uk/box

N

New Phil

Your determined to convert anyone you can

Box is great, but next time I go I will bring a serious snack... possibly a portible barbaque and alot more light

D

darkplaces

Bat burgers all round  :clap:

It will have to be a microwave BBQ as we cant have fires underground...  :ang:

Bath is infact an ideally suited central location if you like caves or mines, 30mins from mendip, less then 30mins from the major stone mines that are accessible and loads still under bath itself!

N

New Phil

can't we have a little bbq in the cath... surely there is enough ventilation and there is so much shit in there already

ditzy 24//7

yeptere sure is a lot of rubbish down there already. Was down cath ages ago and tripped in some crap hanging out slightly on the slope and fell down it  :( and i cut my arm on the process of falling down on some glass :mad:

ditzy 24//7

cannot edit the post above for some reason but there is also sallys rift near browns that is a series of slip rifts that could be done but a ladder is needed in order to reach the bottom of the system, the entrence is a crawl as far as i know but i havent actually done this one yet but a friend of mine has recently done it.

ditzy

graham

ditzy 24//7 said:
cannot edit the post above for some reason but there is also sallys rift near browns that is a series of slip rifts that could be done but a ladder is needed in order to reach the bottom of the system, the entrence is a crawl as far as i know but i havent actually done this one yet but a friend of mine has recently done it.

ditzy

Check out

http://www.ubss.org.uk/resources/Proceedings/vol21/UBSS_Proc_21_3_197-214.pdf

D

darkplaces

Nice find...

Sallys Rift details here with video and album.
http://www.c**tplaces.co.uk/Wikka/SallysRift

A

andymorgan

There are a couple of mines on the campus as well. See in Mendip Underground.

olly

Hi,

I am said caver, Olly by name. Studying at Bath Uni, which despite its proximity to the Mendips, seems to lack a caving club! Paul suggested seeing whether anyone local fancied doing a bit of caving.

I have done all my caving in the Mendips, the Burrington lot, Swildons, Eastwater, Manor Farm & Singing River Mine, IIRC.

Les W

If you had transport you could always turn up at the Wessex on a thursday evening or at the weekend...

...unless you get a better offer of course.  :doubt:

D

darkplaces

May I add here... The problem is NOT lack of a caving club but the lack of 1. Transport 2. Regular caving buddy's.

This is were c**tplaces can step in, if it hasn't already. A caving club is nice, yeah brill, its cosy and warm etc. However a few people come from bath on Darkplaces Trips and I myself pass though Bath on my way to the mendips. So why not join DP (if you already havent) and keep an eye on the events and join in. No hassle just underground, we will organise trips and transport.

Job done  :clap:

Don't listen to the people who say we are a bad lot, we are nice really and you don't have to turn up to the Gas Axe Training evenings unless you want to....

Dani

Hi Olly, happy to give you a lift and I don't live far from the uni if that's any help?  PM me if you want to arrange something  ;)