• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Goatchurch dig

Burt

Was in Goaters today (again!) and just for a change went down to the ladder dig / soakaway below the entrance to the drainpipe.

I know UBSS were digging in this area years ago but can anyone tell me how far they got to? At present the passage (phreatic and quite large looking) goes about 3 metres on from the bottom of the fixed ladder then chokes out. It looks as if it should go on. There's a lot of loose fist size rocks in there and the small stream can be heard gurgling away.

Any clues?

cap n chris

Stacking space may be a problem but moving the cobbles should be simple enough. There's mud on the walls at the ladder shaft indicating backing up in the past and the 3-D computerised survey shows that it's running parallel and below the present line of the drainpipe; my concern over this stream is whether it simply connects to the lower part of the cobble-filled rift at the end of the drainpipe and whether there's a risk of spending a lot of time and effort engineering a connection to this already known part of the cave.

Burt

So how did the 3d computerised survey get past the choked bit to do the survey? was this section previously mapped or was the whizzy 3d thing simply a "computerised projection"?

cap n chris

Sorry, I should clarify, Burt. There's possibly good reason to dig and I'm just being my usual conservative self; the 3-D survey indicates that the present cobbly stream is trending along the strike parallel to the present drainpipe, the "suggestion" being that it's another phreatic tube and probably merely going to link, at a lower level, to a similar part of Goatchurch to which the drainpipe leads.

Of course, there's every chance that, like Rodney Pearce, you'll spend a couple of hours and find walking sized passage leading half way up the Combe. Nice idea. Worth a try? Why not? At the least it would be a good workout. 

S

Sumpy

Chris, Long time eh!
Where do you find a 3D survey of Goatchurch? :confused:

graham

Sumpy said:
Chris, Long time eh!

He surveyed it of course.  (y)

And I crunched the data.  :sneaky:

Hopefully we'll manage to publish the results in usable form.

S

Sumpy

graham said:
Sumpy said:
Chris, Long time eh!

He surveyed it of course.  (y)

And I crunched the data.  :sneaky:

Hopefully we'll manage to publish the results in usable form.
Sounds great to me, would love to see it some time! :coffee:

cap n chris

Ok Sumpy! - here's a rough non-coloured idea of what it looks like - obviously on computer you can spin it around and view from any angle (if you've got 3-D glasses you can even see it in 3-D). (This screenshot was done before a handful of errors were noted and corrected, BTW).

D

Downer

cap 'n chris said:
If the file hosting service says it's 56kb why shouldn't it be just that? It's a low res pic.

My bad, I didn't realise it was a link to a 56K file, I just saw the 4k thumbnail here. Sorry.

Where's the dig and ladder then?

S

Sumpy

The Ladder and rather wet dig is to the right of the small chamber just before the entrance chamber to the drainpipe :)

D

Downer

Sumpy said:
The Ladder and rather wet dig is to the right of the small chamber just before the entrance chamber to the drainpipe :)

Thanks. It may be easier to find in the real world than on the survey! X marks the spot?