• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Jamaica Caving

paulf

Hi has anyone been Caving in Jamaica ?
I went there in 1993 with a copy of Jamaica Underground & 3 willing Caver Friends. We spent 2 days searching for Jackson Bay Cave & a couple of others but couldn't find them  :thumbsdown:
Our biggest problem was finding some decent Maps & the Flooding caused by the Raining Season (We went in May  :eek:
We ended up just doing the Tourist Caves.
I will be returning & wondered if anyone has any contacts or even suggestions on Caves to Visit ?
I'll be staying in Chappleton an hour from Maypen.   
Cheers Paul

ian mckenzie

I visited in 1986 with someone who knew the place (anyone remember Tich Morris, from the Chelsea? he'd been caving there in 1966...).  We got around alright, visited lots of caves, and even found a new one.  The locals were very helpful back then, knew where the caves were, tho none of them had been in any of them.  I hear Jamaica has changed a bit since then, and you need to be a little more careful with your car now...

Mike Boon has a good description and surveys of Quashies River Cave and Bristol Cave, amongst others, in his book Down to A Sunless Sea; maybe your club library has a copy.  They are both worth visiting, as are Coffee River Cave and Printed Circuit.

This site http://www.jamaicancaves.org/ looks useful, and you could try contacting them.