• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

What rope lengths?

docfunk

I am buying a 200m drum of rope :clap:,what lenghts do you lot suggest I chop it in to? I have been looking at hundreads of rigging guids but still cant decide o_O

cap n chris

20:80 (depending on your preferred trip list longest pitch, you may wish to alter the largest length and corresponding short length accordingly)
40:60

Ship-badger

Having looked after our Club rope for a number of years, and having a fairly large amount of my own, I would recommend;

1 x 60m, 1 x 40m, 2 x 30m, 2 x20m

Shrink the rope first, then cut the 60, 30s and 20s, the the 40 last (or whatever is left).

Ropes over 60m are a luxury that hardly ever get used. If you've got a long pitch, pass a knot.

I had an 80m for years, that I finally cut into shorter lengths so that it might get worn out rather than get thrown away just because it was old.

Bob Mehew

Not an answer but on the back of this, would any body be interested in doing a survey of rigging guides and producing data on what lengths are required?  I can supply some of the guides.  If so, please PM or E Mail me on rope at british-caving.org.uk

thanks in anticipation.

cap n chris

Done, preliminary, based on the three CNCC Rigging Guides.

Rope lengths (in 5 metre increments, i.e 17m rounded up to 20m, 13m rounded up to 15m etc.).

10    15    20    25    30    35    40    45    50    55    60    65    70    75    80
No. 
        15    19    24    26    32    13    11    11    11    16    8      1      3      2    3

Conclusion:

The most popular rope lengths in descending order are:

30m - 32 times
    25m - 26 times
    20m - 24 times

Of the long(er) lengths, 55m is the most commonly featured with 16 times

ChrisB

Good work Cap'n.  (y) But is there some additional logic to work out what length ropes are best, given that a 30m rope can be used for a 25m pitch, or a 20m pitch, but not vice versa, etc. :-\

cap n chris

Yep.

The figures seem to suggest:

20m is good for 58 pitches (10m-20m)

30m is good for 58 pitches (25m-30m) but also could be used for the 10m-20m pitches, so covers 116 pitches in this range.

40m is good for 24 pitches (35m-40m)

60m is good for 35 pitches (50m-60m) but also could be used for the 35m-40m pitches, so covers 59 pitches in this range.

80m is good for  9 pitches (65m-80m)

dunc

Did something similar to Cap'n a year or two back when trying to work out what would be the best lengths of rope for the club to buy. Took into account topos of pots still rigged with spits as well as CNCC topos.

Findings were basically the same as above;

15m - 35m range were the most commonly used, 21 times for 35 then 30+ for the rest.
40m - 60m range usage was about 15 times for each length.

10m - 17 times.
<10m - 8 times.
65m+ - ~ 1 and 3 times each.

That gave us a rough idea of what lengths to go for, but as has been said you can use longer lengths on some pitches or even use one longer rope for two pitches rather than two shorter ones...

docfunk

Cheers for the replys, Dave at Inglesport :clap: sorted me out with 66,44 2x33 and a 24,with 10% shrinkage (that I never thourght of) that will cover loads of caves in the Dales.

Geoff R

A question

If you have pre shrunk a rope (initial wash) would it still be prudent to allow 10% shrinkage over its life  :-\

damian

Geoff R said:
A question

If you have pre shrunk a rope (initial wash) would it still be prudent to allow 10% shrinkage over its life  :-\

Yes ... or certainly not far off 10%. Some ropes shrink more than others. In my experience Mammut seems to shrink quite a lot over the first few months of its life, despite also having been initial shrunk.

Geoff R

so that would apply for any rope, even if it claims a low shrinkage  :-\

* ( my feeling is yes, as otherwise you could end up with a shorter rope than marked ?)

dunc

I would say yes, I've had rope that was measured as 'x' length and then after some usage was a bit shorter again.. Can't recall what make it was though.

Geoff R

dunc said:
I would say yes, I've had rope that was measured as 'x' length and then after some usage was a bit shorter again.. Can't recall what make it was though.

Thanks all, yes thats what Ive always done (added 10% before or after first soak) and marked at the "final required" length, but I wondered if ideas had changed - apparently not.  (y)

ianball11

When I was marking rope for club use we always under estimated what a rope was by quite a bit so no one would make an off the bottom mistake too easily but when your paying for it yourself, thinking I'm going to loose 10% initially and then as it gets older too I tend to get a bit more accurate in rope length marking.

If rope gets shorter as it ges older, does it get less stretchy too?

Ian B.

Christian_Chourot

Judging by what happens to cow's tails (from the FFS research, contact Bob Mehew for a copy of the translation), I imagine it becomes more dynamic but I don't expect anyone's formally tested it.

docfunk

Geoff R said:
A question

If you have pre shrunk a rope (initial wash) would it still be prudent to allow 10% shrinkage over its life   :-\
I would definitely take Daves word for it on mammut as he sells(and uses) many thousand meters a year.