• The Derbyshire Caver, No. 158

The latest issue is finally complete and printed

Subscribers should have received their issue in the post - please let us know if you haven't. For everyone else, the online version is now available for free download:

Click here for download link

Wedding Speech

gus horsley

This is getting a bit desperate.  I've got to give a Father of the Bride speech and I'm useless at that sort of thing, so I'm asking anyone who's done (or not done) it before to give me some advice.  There are a few parameters:

1.  I can't stand the groom.
2.  I can't stand the future in-laws.
3.  I want to be diplomatic.
4.  It's this Sunday.

All suggestions gratefully received.

cap n chris

Talk about yourself for half and hour and when you finish they'll applaud with relief.

Works for me every time.

caving_fox

Fortunetly I've not had to say anything, but I've atteneded a number of weddings in recent years.

As father of the bride, you can safely ignore the groom and the in-laws (at least as far as speaches go) and just comment on how radient the bride looks today, how wonderful they were as a baby, how you can't believe how quickly she's all grown up now, and how different she looks to when you took her caving and she came out looking like a ... (choose carefully) humerous/embaressing pictures welcome. Don't get her name mixed up with her twin sister /MiL!

Keep it to less than 10 mins and remember who it is you are supposed to be toasting.

SamT

yer - lift a few gags from the internet. talk lovingly about your daughter for a bit. tip a nod to the new son in law briefly, raise a glass.

then off to the bar asap and get hammered, start a fight.

always makes a memorable event for everyone.  :LOL:

M

MSD

I reckon it's best to just take a deep breath, tell young Nigel/Steve/whatever his name is "welcome aboard" even if you can't stand the sight of him. Unfortunately your daughter will have just married him (assuming proceedings reach this point) and even if she's just done what you consider to be the most stupid thing in her life you don't want to embarass her. Then duty done you can get safely razzed up without the rest of your family giving you an ear bending.

Mark

Kick off by saying that the received wisdom is not to speak in public for longer than you can make love in private, then either (a) propose the toast because you're already over-running, or (b) reassure guests that the next three hours will just fly by

martinb

gus horsley said:
This is getting a bit desperate.  I've got to give a Father of the Bride speech and I'm useless at that sort of thing, so I'm asking anyone who's done (or not done) it before to give me some advice.  There are a few parameters:

1.  I can't stand the groom.
2.  I can't stand the future in-laws.
3.  I want to be diplomatic.
4.  It's this Sunday.

All suggestions gratefully received.

One assumes the little so and so asked you for your daughters hand in marriage?

If you don't like the rest of his family, why did you say yes?

Otherwise follow suggestions by caving_fox and SamT.

Say a little, drink a lot, although be careful not to say anything to the inlaws when very drunk!  :beer:

Glenn

"I've got to give a Father of the Bride speech"

Is it the one that could chimney up the door frame?

Where does the time go....

Congrats (and good luck....)

Glenn

W

wormster

ROFPMSL

I'd forgotten just how funny wedding speaches could be.

Rowan Atkinson at his best.

gus horsley

Glenn said:
"I've got to give a Father of the Bride speech"

Is it the one that could chimney up the door frame?

Where does the time go....

Congrats (and good luck....)

Glenn

That was Abigail, she hasn't got hitched yet (middle daughter got married 7 years ago).  Like you say Glenn, where does the time go...

The one who's getting married is stepdaughter and no, the groom didn't ask me for her hand in marriage.  At least he had enough sense not to do that ( I suspect he knew what the outcome would be).

Thanks for all your suggestions.  I'm going to have to just bite the bullet, spout a whole heap of s**t and maybe take up Sam's suggestion of having a fight (with the new in-laws) - now that's a tempting prospect.

And there's absolutely no chance that the future son-in-law will be reading this - he hasn't done anything even remotely strenuous in his entire life so far and thinks that people who do things like caving are uncouth - really.