• Descent 298 publication date

Our June/July issue will be published on Saturday 8 June

Now with four extra pages as standard. If you want to receive it as part of your subscription, make sure you sign up or renew by Monday 27 May.

Click here for more

off roaders rant

SamT

Mrs Trellis said:
There were a group of off-roaders in Land rovers marked KORC or something similar today at the junction with the lane from Bradda (Old Bowling green) just to the south of the quarry. I was going to park up there and walk over ; when I slowed down to park some of them got a bit aggressive shouting "What do you want? " etc. The same lot drove down from the road below Blue John to the Odin turning circle then pissed about in Odin cave last week. You have been warned.

KORC -  http://www.kirtonoffroadcentre.co.uk/

personally I hold the people who 'off road' around the green lanes of the peak district in the lowest regard.

I've no doubt that 'off roading' is great fun. But I find it abhorent that they are desimating the few remaining green lanes of the peak district whist out for the V8 equivalent of a nice sunday stroll. And even more abhorent that they get agressive when challenged.

Its not like there aren't acres and acres of old open cast workings/slag heaps etc that are tailor made for this kind of thing all around the peak district.

anyway - I digress from the topic.

Sorry. [/rant]

Mark-Cal

SamT said:
personally I hold the people who 'off road' around the green lanes of the peak district in the lowest regard.

I've no doubt that 'off roading' is great fun. But I find it abhorent that they are desimating the few remaining green lanes of the peak district whist out for the V8 equivalent of a nice sunday stroll. And even more abhorent that they get agressive when challenged.

Its not like there aren't acres and acres of old open cast workings/slag heaps etc that are tailor made for this kind of thing all around the peak district.

Blimey, you've developed rather a stereotypical view of 4x4 owners there Sam !
I own a Land Rover and I sometimes green lane in the Peaks with it. I'm pretty sure I've never "desimated" anything during my runs out, as you rightly point out there are plenty of off road sites I can visit if I wish to mud plug.
I've always avoided muddy/damaged lanes and shown the greatest respect for other users. However recently I've driven the lanes much less frequently due to the sometimes rabid abuse thrown at me by certain members of the bobble hat wearing community while legally going about my business.

I know unfortunately it's fact that most weekends in the Peaks there are people in both 4x4's and motocross bikes out to get as muddy as possible with little thought for the environment but please don't tar all 4x4 users with the same brush.

It's very easy to make negative stereotypical comment about any group of people including cavers... ;)

SamT said:

Sorry.

Me too, sorry. :)

Moose

I've been off roading in my landrover for 9 years now in the Peak District to decimate many a cave as well as making a mini open cast mine and a slag heap.

How does that register on your regardometer?

P

phil.gregson

SamT said:

Sorry. [/rant]

Sam

You know absolutely nothing of which you speak!!

I'm afraid its this kind of biggoted ignorance that supports the view of the city-dwelling, bobble-hatted, Red-socked majority in their increasingly successful attempts to curtail any outdoor activity that doesn't suit their leisure agenda.

There are quite a few miles of green lane in the Peak - most of which are hard surfaced and not prone to damage.  The people who drive them are, on the whole, considerate and careful.  Damage to any road surface is inevitable (just look at the ruts on the M1) but is, generally minimal to the Peak's lanes. 

Green lanes are public roads and they have a right to be driven as much as any tarmaced road in the peak - do you go wandering around on tarmaced roads and complain that people are driving down them and ruining the peak?

If you don't like it then avoid them (just as you'd no-doubt avoid hanging round as a pedestrian on the M1!!)  they are clearly marked on OS maps and form less then 1% of the public rights of way available to you.

If you think that driving green lanes is damaging you should consider the damaged caused by the roads you drive on - The stone that has to be quarried, processed and transported, the plant required to build and maintain them and the increased traffic that surfacing a road brings - a couple of ruts does nothing for the environment compared with that little lot.

Finally for now, i suppose you will also put your money where your mouth is and refuse to drive on any green lane used by cavers for access - The lanes to Water Icicle and Knotlow/Hillocks spring to mind, as does the track over Dirtlow rake, just for starters.

Your considered reply would be appreciated.

Phil

graham

I know this has moved a long way off topic, but I know a landowner who dislikes the fact that there are bridleways (or whatever they call 'em these days) on his land owing to the damage that horses' hooves cause.

kay

phil.gregson said:
I'm afraid its this kind of biggoted ignorance that supports the view of the city-dwelling, bobble-hatted, Red-socked majority in their increasingly successful attempts to curtail any outdoor activity that doesn't suit their leisure agenda.

Pot calling the kettle black?

P

phil.gregson

Pot calling kettle black?

Ironic humour - sorry you didn't get it - the point still stands.

SamT said:
falling on deaf ears..

You raised an interesting discussion point to which people have responded - it would be genuinely interesting to hear your response to those points, including some substansiation for your belief.

Incidentally, you are correct that there are some people who drive on green lanes and who behave in an ignorant, inconsiderate or even illegal manner (as, indeed, do some people who drive on tarmaced roads).  However, to hold us all in the 'lowest regard' is akin to holding all those who go to buy goods from shops in the 'lowest regard' because some people who visit shops steal and are rude to people!!

Phil

Cave_Troll

I object to motorists drag racing on the public road outside my house, even though they have a legal right to be there.

I can see both sides of the argument, but i stil have to jump out of the way of bikers doing 50mph on the hound kirk track, and look with sorrow at the remains of the stanage track and the pindale road.

P

phil.gregson

My point exactly,

Some people behave illeagaly and inconsiderately and should be stopped - that doesn't mean that every one who drives green lanes should be treated with contempt and banned, anymore that it means that all motorists should be banned from the road outside your house because of a few behaving badly (Drag racing on the public highway is most definately illegal, by the way!).

Over the years I have reported many illegal  motorcyclists, both on and off public rights of way, to the police - many of them deserve to be prosecuted and have their vehicles confiscated but that shouldn't affect the law-abiding majority.

Phil

ChrisJC

I am both an off-roader (occasionally), and a caver & mine explorer.

I was going to wade in, however Phil has eloquently expressed my feelings better than I could.  (y)

Chris.

ian.p

biggoted ignorance that supports the view of the city-dwelling, bobble-hatted, Red-socked majority
please dont lable us all as biggots some of the most balanced people i know wear bobble hats and red socks some of them even live in citys  :eek: .
my own opinion is that land rovers are working vehicals and should be used as such.

bubba

Administrator
The damage done to Totley Moor by 4x4s is a fucking disgrace. I vote for a kamikaze tyre-slashing crew who hide behind walls, run out, gouge the tyres and escape laughing merrily.

graham

Mark-Cal said:
It can be, the chassis on my 110 is held together with planks and Wilko's cable ties.  ::)
Sounds like the one that crashed killing four of the drivers kids.  :-\