• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

identifying old pipe!!!!! help?????

C

clarem

hi, im clare, new to this site,
                                      my better half found an old pipe, while out in his kayak, ive been looking up to find out the date of it, but the closest to the pattern, im only getting ages from 18000s-1840s

i an stumped cos i cant find the exact pipe so the date im puzzled on, surly its not that old, can anyone help me pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee o_O o_O o_O

DSC00161.jpg

DSC00162.jpg

DSC00163.jpg

any help ill be immencly greatful

clare

graham

Hi Clare and welcome to the site.

I am by no means an expert on clay pipes, but I can see no problem with that one being in the age range specified. That would be quite reasonable.

Peter Burgess

Hi Clare

I would agree with Graham, but would add it is unlikely to be before 1820. We find similar pipes in old mine-workings in Surrey which are early Victorian. Are there letters on the spur, below the bowl?

C

clarem

the pipe was found by my better half and was found down in the river he lives next to ;)
he now has found out that i have a passion for old finds :D which he never knew before and surgested i get my self on a forum due to i have a couple of bits ive found and collected now hehehehe

cheers for the info peeps

clare

El Agreb

Word has it that John Taylor of the Eldon has a wealth of experience in clay pipe identification. I am reliably informed of this particular skill by Bob Toogood following significant discoveries in Bagshaw a while back.

AndyF

clarem said:
the pipe was found by my better half and was found down in the river he lives next to ;)
he now has found out that i have a passion for old finds :D which he never knew before and surgested i get my self on a forum due to i have a couple of bits ive found and collected now hehehehe

cheers for the info peeps

clare

you want to get on

www.bottledigging.org.uk

Lots of info there on pipes, bottles and other "found" stuff...

C

clarem

Peter Burgess said:
Hi Clare

I would agree with Graham, but would add it is unlikely to be before 1820. We find similar pipes in old mine-workings in Surrey which are early Victorian. Are there letters on the spur, below the bowl?

theres no letters on numbers on the pipe at all, just the pattern on the joining ares on the bowl!!!

Peter Burgess

clarem said:
Peter Burgess said:
Hi Clare

theres no letters on numbers on the pipe at all, just the pattern on the joining ares on the bowl!!!

The patterns are typical of the period we have identified. The letters would have been the maker's initials, and IF you know the makers in the area and their history from relevant records, it can help narrow the date range.

C

clarem

what sort of patteren would it be called?
would it come under floral, leafs or what??? :chair:
clare :D