• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

fatigue pot

andychapm

fatigue pot-where is it in coombs dale?? :confused:
some handy instructions on how to get there would be useful!! :)
thanks!!

Piglet

I could take you to it, but I don't know if I can describe it accurately.  I had a look at it once...  :eek:  twice, in fact  :cry: and decided not to bother.  It looks horrible...

According to CotPD the Grid Ref is NGR 2268 7485.  If you can find this on the map you'll definitely be somewhere in the vicinity.  I remember a wooden field gate in the fence, which we went through and then followed the fence line maybe fifty feet up dale and then up the side of the hill the 20ft it says in the book.  It's in an area of gorse bushes and small rock outcrops and there are good views across towards the valley towards Curbar Edge.

I hope that's some help.  Best of British!!  ;)

JonP

yeh you go so far up the path until you reach a wooden bridge with stile on your right that crosses over the river. across the bridge you walk left past the first rock out crops where about 15-20m or so you reach another set... about 5m high you'll find the entrance covered by a metal lid. there are a fe other holes about on the same level aswel.

andychapm

thanks karen and jon.
it'll have to be done as a weds project in the near future jon, soon as we've dug every other potential project in stoney!!!! :-\
you pembertons own that place-wait till you discover there's caving in other areas!! ;)
thanks
andy

Northern caver

What's the deal with Fatigue Pot, i've heard it's not the most pleasant of caves but, could possibly hold the key to something very significant.

JonP

yeh some animals have made the place a home and the whole 9m entrance crawl smells of shit. tbh.

we went for a venture in the summer. one of us made it a body length in the entrance and started gagging, all very funny.

at one of the the very end digs there was a small slot with a very strong draught to small to push (solid) and after heavy rain a stream could be heard beyond.

but ive been told that this part has silted up since. :thumbsdown:

JonP

Mark said:
Iain Barker wrote

Stupidly tight passages in Fatigue pot?

Do you mean the rift at the end of the first phreatic passage on the right.
This draughts like mad and last time I went there you could hear a big stream quite close. its quite an undertaking to dig it (Hilti caps?). there was a lot of water running down the dale at the time. Wren Park Mine which is situated beneath the big rubbish dump at the bottom of Coombs Dale is recorded to have intersected a large river passage

JonP

not heard that anyones been digging in there recently. im up for a gander if anyones game?

bsaden

It is incredibly smelly in there at the moment - and also for some reason,a LOT tighter in the entrance crawl than when I went in before Christmas..........

underground

If it's any smellier thatn the bottom of Eldon Hole was last night, I'm not even driving through Stoney never mind going up Coombs Dale. Yak, I could barely get on the rope for wretching on the dead bunny  :yucky:

underground

SamT said:
wasn't that bad.

If I'd have had a stove, we could have boiled it for a stew.  :LOL:

It was a bit too gamey - to me anyway, I'm rubbish at rotten stuff. Had to have a rest about ten foot up the rope just to recover from all the dry puking and tears, and to think I did my A levels with every intention of becoming a forensic pathologist.  :confused:

Big Jim

Slatch - its time for another toad rescue down there.  As well as Undergrounds wretched rabbit, we found laods of Toads, Frogs and at least 3 Palmate Newts. And bat shite up in Millers/Damocles.

Jim - I think that wretching bollox was more to do with not being rope fit rather than the rabbit - time to stop loafing around in baggers, lay off the pies and get on some string. :LOL:

J

Piglet

Big Jim said:
Slatch - its time for another toad rescue down there.  As well as Undergrounds wretched rabbit, we found laods of Toads, Frogs and at least 3 Palmate Newts. And bat shite up in Millers/Damocles.

J

Been there, done that  :ang:.  We were in there about two or three weeks ago and I scoured the place and found four frogs and two teensy toads and brought them all out safe and sound and released them into the bottom of the dry stone wall (apart from one fairly large frog, which I took over to the dew pond).  (y)

andychapm

right pemberton1, we need to do a trip down fatigue!! i'm back from mexico, the pig flu hasn't killed me so lets try some exposure to animal poo. mr jump is up for it too (when he's back from the us of a) so we've got a strong team!!
well, it's that or that infamous grot slot in lathkill dale.....................!!!!????!!!!!  :-\

Katie

andychapm said:
well, it's that or that infamous grot slot in lathkill dale.....................!!!!????!!!!!  :-\
I suppose you can at least rely on it not being any where near as bad as that place!!!

Northern caver

The thoughts of crawling through fox piss doesn't really appeal to me but, if anyone fancies a reccie down there, with a view planning future work (if possible) then by all means give me a shout. I'll bring some disinfectant ;)

alastairgott

Dredging up an old subject...

Mr chapman a few months ago suggested i find fatigue, i've not yet been in.

I had a few moments to spare last saturday to sample the pungent smell of the entrance. after 30+minutes we did manage to find the hole, but could have found it much quicker...

We parked near the calver crossroads and walked back towards stoney middleton.
Taking the first left turn off the main road marked as a public footpath (which is a track, only passable on foot).
Follow the track for quite a while, after the childrens playground you'll pass a wooded section on the right and then it will open out into fields again. Once you see the fields again, it wont be far till you find a stile which leads into the field. Go into this field and turn left, keeping the fence on your left keep wandering till there is a metal farm gate leading back to the lane. Turn your back to this gate so that you're facing the hillside.
When we were there, there was a petrified tree on the hillside just to the left (about 15 to 30 degrees), this lines up with fatigue pot. Fatigue is about 2m behind this tree.
(Really not far up the hillside, if you're going all the way to the top of the hill you're looking too hard).