• The Derbyshire Caver, No. 158

The latest issue is finally complete and printed

Subscribers should have received their issue in the post - please let us know if you haven't. For everyone else, the online version is now available for free download:

Click here for download link

Foolow/Stoney Middleton Master Cave

Mark

From West to East, the swallets below Eyam edge are,

Swevic House,
Mrs Smythes Swallet
Piece End Swallet
Waterfall Hole
Little Waterfall Swallet
Hunger Hill Swallet
Unnamed Swallet
Pippin Swallow,

All the water from these swallets emerges at the boil up in glebe mine, which has been dived for some distance in a natural passage, the furthest point being quite close to surfacing, so hypothetically a large conduit carrying all the water from these swallets exits beyond the sump, The credit crunch expedition will be having a look at some of these areas,

Incidentally some of the water from Swevic drains to Bradwell (John Gunn dye test) so a possible route from Bradwell to Stoney Middleton exists.

Moose

Mark said:
Incidentally some of the water from Swevic drains to Bradwell (John Gunn dye test) so a possible route from Bradwell to Stoney Middleton exists.

...... and I will eat my head!

T

T pot 1

Mark
Just one question, if some of the water from Swevic House Swallet does go to Bradwell how does it go traverse through the reef limestone at Grinlow ?

But in the hyperthetical again, if some of the Peak/Speedwell water in flood conditions gets into the Bagshawe Cavern system and Swevic House does link to Bradda, this indeed would be a mega master cave system :-\ ;) ;)

Pitlamp

The hypothetical "Castlewell" system is a distinct possibility. Swevic to Bradwell - seems slightly less certain.