Diggle wigglepit!

M

mark86_02

Hi

I wondered if anyone could shed any light on this misterious cave, I cant seem to find any information on it anywhere (other than acknowledgements that it exists).

Im presuming its located near to the township of Diggle, on the lancashire / Yorkshire boarder?

Thanks

Mark

Pitlamp

I think the definitive article is "Fissure Caves in Saddleworth" in MSG Journal 8 (1976) pages 53-57, which includes a survey. There is also an article in a CPC Journal or Record but (from memory) it doesn't tell any more than what you'll find in the MSG Journal.

If you can't access the MSG Journal (which would be a shame as these publications make great reading) then I could put you in touch with the person who wrote the article. PM me with your proper email address if you want me to pass on your email contact to the person concerned so he can contact you. Hope this helps.

Pitlamp

Then again if you look in the current Northern Caves Volume 3 guide (out of print but widely available) page 282 gives the grid reference as SE017076. If you can't get at a copy PM me and I'll tell you what it says.

gus horsley

I haven't done it but by all accounts it's very similar to Tom Bell's Cave at Hardcastle Crags, over the border near Hebden Bridge.  Basically a fissure/boulder cave formed in gritstone.  They're quite interesting and there's probably many which aren't recorded (such as one 70ft deep formed in a quarry near Hepstonstall).

Pitlamp

There are some natural caves of this kind in the Cadshaw Valley between Bolton and Darwen in Lancashire. They were described in an article in a Lancashire Caving & Climbing Club publication in the 1970s but haven't yet made it into Northern Caves.

dunc

There's also two other grit-features nearby (about 1.5miles south), both mentioned in NC3; Fairy Holes and Twin Shafts, I've walked past those but not wearing appropriate attire I didn't venture in to them. I was planning on trying to locate the entrance to Diggle Wigglepit on the same day but the fell was shrouded in cloud and trudging over the fell and back didn't appeal so I've saved it for another day!

A few miles south again above Chew Brook is 'Warm Holes' - don't think it's mentioned in the guide book but there's a survey of it available on cavemaps, which I believe comes from the CPC J6-2. I haven't got the journal so can't provide any further information on it, although going on the location I'd guess at it being another gritstone feature.

Pitlamp

Hey Dunc; I'd forgotten that area was your stomping ground!

The reference is Halliwell R, 1980, "Warm Holes" in Craven Pothole Club Journal 6 (2), pages 107 & 108 (plus a survey plan & elevation facing page 107).

In case it helps anyone, among the references given in this article are:

Anon, YRC Journal No.29 (1949) page 271.
Anon, The Oldham Chronicle, June 27th (1931).

gus horsley

There's probably scope for someone to collate all this information (not me though!) and put together a concise publication on gritstone caves.  Tom Bell's cave is actually more extensive than NC suggests, with a 20ft pitch and possibly 200ft of passage; there's also at least 5 other caves within a few hundred yards, mostly just boulder features except Hebden Valley Cave which is a crawl into a circular chamber with water dribbling through the roof.  the 70ft rift in Heptonstall Quarry probably opened up as a result of quarrying operations and is a tight descent with (predictably) nothing at the bottom. 

And on an esoteric note, I once did a peat cave in the vicinity of Featherbed Moss which was about 300ft long, hands and knees crawling the whole way over cobbles with numerous holes to daylight.

gus horsley

Hi Dave

You'll have to forgive my memory as it's been a long time since I did Tom Bell's.  If you go up Hardcastle Crags to Gibson's Mill you pass the dams (and Hebden Valley Cave) then continue to where there's mossy boulders etc on the south side of the valley.  The entrance is quite high up amongst the tumbles of boulders and is a rift.  I can't remember how obvious it is but I don't recall having problems finding it; it was over 40 years ago but I don't suppose it will have changed much. 

M

mark86_02

Hi

Thanks people, I really didnt realise there were so many caves in my area!, thought about looking for Diggle wigglepit today; but then saw the snow and decided it probably wasnt the best idea!