Caving Challenges

Minion

Let me start by saying I don't like the term 'caving challenges' but I can't think of a different name (suggestions?).

Can anyone suggest some routes that would be considered a 'challenge'? The obvious one to me would be the Aggy Grand Circlr (clockwise) following by the Outer Circle (anti-clockwise) while also taking in the full Inner Circle. Or OFD 1-3-1, I think they're doing similar for their PSM preparations?

I'm fancying a little project for after my thesis is complete and submitted....

RobinGriffiths

Pip to Top Sink, not using Mistral.
Giants to Oxlow or vice versa, depending on the way you are allowed to do so.

Although sounds like you are after a bit more grunt.

Huge

The Restaurant area in Daren? LOTS of great formations around there. Going further on a day trip is just ridiculous! 🙂

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

cavemanmike

Ogof hesp Alyn, to the end and back,a good 10 hours of mud , and that's the fastest it's been done. Ask rostam for a trip report  :LOL:

Vulcan

Its a fair guess most, if not all the trips in 'not for the faint hearted' (I don't own a copy - I just know it by reputation) will be challenging.

mudman

caving_fox said:
Anything in the little black book (of death) or are they just warm ups?

Vulcan said:
Its a fair guess most, if not all the trips in 'not for the faint hearted' (I don't own a copy - I just know it by reputation) will be challenging.

What are these tomes of which you speak?

Rob

A few mentions here of the Oxlow/Giants connection, and surely the best (most pointless) way of doing that is Maskhill to East Canal and back.

alastairgott

Titan-Ride of the Valkaries-Cliff passage (either Tyrolean to Joint Effort or Prussik to Cliff passage & sump)- white river & then out of JH?

(estimated minimum trip time 13 hours (based on Small Efficient 2 person Group who know the System)- comp of:
4hrs titan-ROTV,
2 Hrs Stemple Highway-Cliff Cavern [topout and Back],
4 Hrs Miners Toast/Main Rising-Enegro Aven [after White River & down Ventilator]
3 Hrs Exit JH (via ropes you have prerigged)

[to achieve this trip, I think you would need a good support group who could assist, There are many bailout options along the way, if you were attempting this trip, I would suggest ensuring you set these up beforehand] and leave a Callout as though you are doing a 24hr trip, as each element of the Trip could take 50% longer than you expect.

Edit: and probably a good idea to have done each element of the trip by itself before trying the full trip. (peak is a good entry point, you can be at block hall, Speedwell, in approx. 1 hour from the entrance)

Alex

When you say challenge do you mean tight? I would say a lot of the choices in NFTFH book are a challenge if you are willing to come up to the Dales, but generally they are tired because they are tight and akward, though a long trip to the end of Lancliffe is definitely a challenge. (It is also quite tight in the middle, though so be warned you need to be flexible. Normal sized people can get through with an hour struggle on the way back!) I myself take about 10 minutes pass it.

As for down your way, Wales, I am no expert but if you are not afraid of heights then you may consider a trip to the end Smiths armory III? (Not sure if that is the correct name) (a challenge) in OFD.

Speleotron

The Yordas Super-40  (every possible Yordas exchange in both directions, there are 5 entrances so 40 exchanges), for extra faff once you've done an exchange you go do it in the opposite direction right away and de-rig.

nearlywhite

cavemanmike said:
Ogof hesp Alyn, to the end and back,a good 10 hours of mud , and that's the fastest it's been done. Ask rostam for a trip report  :LOL:

I highly recommend it. Best suggestion so far.

Oh and Mr Gott, 3 hours to exit JH? And 4 hours RoTV? That's a bit much don't you think ;)

I have always maintained every point in peak is doable on one trip, just about...

Fulk

Speleotron: Statistics never was my strong point, but if you have 5 choices for the first entrance and 4 for the second (or exit), then doesn't that give 20 possible through trips ? automatically including those going each way?