Bear Grylls - Mission Survive - An insult to British Cavers

Huge

I know how much Mr Grylls is liked and admired by people on the forum and in his new series Mission Survive, episode 4 see's the celebrities descend a cave in Costa Rica.

When actress Emilia Fox moans about getting a little knock in the cave, her actor cousin Laurence Fox says:-

"Well that serves you right for going caving. Sorry to the British caving community but you're a bunch of loosers and you need to get a decent hobby - twats!"

I'm sure it was meant in a tongue in cheek way. :confused:  At least he recognises that we're a community.

You can see the episode on YouTube here -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8dJVGrDMnM

The caving starts at about 7 mins in. The cave looks nice!

SamT

Maybe an official response from the bca on behalf of the caving community demanding an apology.

Personally I'd love to see a headline in the wider press along the lines of "cavers demand apology. " in which the further article goes on to rubbish bears underground exploits.  The more people who are alerted to the fact that he's a complete foney, the better imho.

Think there is a bit of over-reaction going on here. So what if someone said we were twats, people say cavers are "mad" or say we are stupid to do the hobby we do.  Really doesn't matter. Demanding an apology WOULD make us look like twats. It's not like someone important said it!

Goydenman

MJenkinson said:
Think there is a bit of over-reaction going on here. So what if someone said we were twats, people say cavers are "mad" or say we are stupid to do the hobby we do.  Really doesn't matter. Demanding an apology WOULD make us look like twats. It's not like someone important said it!
:clap: (y)

Blakethwaite

You can understand why he has a chip on his shoulder. No matter what heights his career reaches, he'll always be more than aware of the fact that he'll never do anything remotely as good as The Day of the Jackel. But who will!

SamT

MJenkinson said:

I actually posted with my tongue in my cheek slightly, but I've just re-read my post and it doesn't come across like that.  :-[

I wasn't serious bit I do worry about the message and image he sends out to the gullible and impressionable population.

Mike Hopley

People are so negative here.

After watching Bear Grylls's informative documentary, I know what to do next time I find a dead sheep at the bottom of a pitch: stuff it in a tacklesack, carry it out, and roast it for dinner!

Thank you Bear. Please ignore the haters.

Inferus

Huge said:
I know how much Mr Grylls is liked and admired by people on the forum
Love the guy, does such wondrous things, he's a role model for me.

When actress Emilia Fox moans about getting a little knock in the cave, her actor cousin Laurence Fox says:-
"Well that serves you right for going caving. Sorry to the British caving community but you're a bunch of loosers and you need to get a decent hobby - twats!"

I'm sure it was meant in a tongue in cheek way. :confused:  At least he recognises that we're a community.
Probably. But I'd rather undertake a shit hobby as part of a community than be a twattish actor that thinks he's something special or a soft arse actress that grumbles about anything and everything. Maybe they should both get proper jobs?

Mike Hopley said:
People are so negative here.
No, you're thinking of the old forum, there's positivity in the air. A fair portion of people positively hate Bore Girls.

Whether any of the above was said tongue-in-cheek is up to the reader to decide..

David Rose

Thank you Mike for that very nice and helpful post. And of course you can also get inside the carcass for warmth and shelter at an underground camp.

mrodoc

This thread is a duplicate of one started by the Old Ruminator. You can see my comments. It's not an insult to the caving community it is an insult to the intelligence of the British public - or perhaps, more worryingly, not ;)

Wormy

"Well that serves you right for being an actor. Sorry to the British acting community but you're a bunch of loosers and you need to get a decent hobby - twats!"

I find this much more realistic!

peterk

Does anyone remember his earlier "caving" exploits? Video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA8w1xnxfJ4 and watch from around 23:15.  If you can't stand the Chief Scouts lack of integrity then the basic plot is on the lines of here's a cave with a river running in it, they often cut through a mountain and the miles saved are worth the risk, I'll make a resin torch, Here's a sump - I'll dive through, here I am coming out the other side of the mountain

Post from May 2009 on cavechat.org:
I have just started getting this on Discovery channel and was floored. The guy is a raving idiot! Not only is his advice for above ground survival nearly suicidal, He has in twp different episodes advised using caves as short cuts to get through mountains! :yikes:

He also uses no helmet and one light source; a torch soaked in pine resins. And this is in a very wet cave. Both episodes had the cave ending in sumps, which he then free dives to emerge outside the cave! :doh:
One was in Belize and the other in Romania.

ZombieCake

Forgive the intrusion - perhaps there is another documentary or survival special to be made here?  If Mr Grylls were to take his resin super light to say Sump 12 in Swildon's could he not pop out of Wookey Hole and let us all know what he saw on the way?
I'm not normally a fan of celebrity branded goods but the 'BG' hatchet is quite sharp and actually good for bramble clearing in the garden.  Not sure about the rest of the line as I've heard variable things about Gerber quality control (rightly or wrongly) of things with moving parts.