Unicore Rope Twists

Tommy

Anyone who's been using unicore ropes, have you noticed any difference in their tendency to form twists?

Particularly with things like the Italian Hitch and fig-8 descenders for context.

Cheers!

Pete K

I had 2 x 100m lengths used for a charity abseil event and then cut it up to shorter lengths for caving (well mine stuff mainly). I have 3 x 20m lengths that get used almost exclusively for Italian hitch work on LCMLA training courses and the other bits generally do belay duties on ladder/lifeline trips.
I have not noticed any propensity towards twisting any more than any other rope. I do keep my ropes clean to an OCD level as I'm adamant that it is the only way to keep the handle of a rope long term. Did your rope get properly soaked / shrunk before first use? I am assuming the know that IH and Fig8 use introduces twists into any rope?
Maybe the core/sheath bonding construction does amplify the twisting or torqueing effect but I can't say I've noticed it. It could also be a very specific batch problem, a bit like the few km of Beal's Spelenium Gold a few years ago that was wavy and lumpy but had no strength loss. That was not recalled but was notified to customers.

Tommy

Don't own unicore myself Pete, the thought just popped into my head earlier as I was playing about with a fig 8 (canyoning in a few weeks).

I agree with you, "Look after your kit and it'll look after you..."

Pete K

Ah. No then, no noticeable difference from my point of view. I really like the stuff for use where there is sharp or very abrasive rock and with less than gentle trainees.