Natural shaft near Slitherstones Mine

Mark

About halfway between Slitherstones shaft and Mountbatten Pot, there is a shakehole which was full of old wire and scrap. we pulled this out today and found an ancient dig underneath (timbered shaft)

Anyone any idea who dug this and when

Rob

Looks like this (or did before the Peaks Expedition clear-up today).
323228_10150897754587647_24941395_o.jpg

Mark

Simon was wearing his sneaking jacket.

Also there are about 6 shafts in this field all covered with concrete sleepers 2 of them are Slitherstones 1 & 2 the others are further East, possibly Windle and Birch Hall Mines, has any one any information on these.

AR

I may have some details on what mine titles the shafts are on, but I'll need to go hunting for a roll of maps that are buried in my spare room -  watch this space!

pwhole

I was very pleased to help out on this yesterday - a fascinating hole, and we got down roughly 8m in about four hours with some dedicated grubbing and hauling of very large boulders, scrap and skeletons. Nothing like teamwork.

That doc I sent Dan H recently by Chris Heathcote of PDMHS, of the Peak Forest liberty should have something in it - certainly has Windle, Rush and Birch Hall mentioned. That's the one with the 110 fathom level to the natural swallow into the P8 streamway...;)

I doubt I'll be free again until next weekend, but keep it up folks - very promising!

AR

OK, looking on the maps I've got (which originated with Chris Heathcote), this shows the first mine title after the vein crosses the track is Windle and Rush mine. A little before the wall which crosses the rake, it becomes Birch Hall mine, with the shaft in about the centre of the title. The ground between here and the Peak Forest - Castleton boundary is Two Rakes Head mine. HTH.....

AR

The barmaster's map doesn't give it a name, though the shafts to the south are marked as Slack's Grove. That's not to say Chris Heathcote hasn't worked out what it was called, but I'd need a look at his article on the mines of Castleton Liberty to find out.

pwhole

Is that where what looks like drain covers are? I think that's the same one - often wondered if they were cave, mine or just farm-related.