• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Caver Anatomy

Amy

Being sick of typecast as a male, I decided it was high time to create this illustration. Hopefully it can help other female cavers understand their body type and unique struggles especially in regards to ropework, and give men an insight into our unique challenges.

8000872761_5b1556d8fc_o.jpg

blackshiver

Seriously, I think we should put a copy of the book at the bottom of the pit in Simpsons......it should fill in a couple of hours and provide valuable protection against hypothermia.

martinm

Amy said:
Being sick of typecast as a male, I decided it was high time to create this illustration. Hopefully it can help other female cavers understand their body type and unique struggles especially in regards to ropework, and give men an insight into our unique challenges.

Excellent post Amy, very informative, I'm only a 38b though so don't have the same problems as you...

bograt

I'm worried about the conservation issues here, they must have crossed the tapes to get that close to the formations. (but then again, I am an old man! ;) ;))

droid

Thanks Amy.

In will reference this if I ever decide to cave carrying a couple of fruity snack items and several kilos of flapjack underground.... :beer:

RobinGriffiths

If. when prussiking, you could synchronise the sequence with the breast bobbage frequency, it might be possible to use breasts as an energy storage device, a bit like a self oscillating capacitor inductor circuit.

ianball11

RobinGriffiths said:
If. when prussiking, you could synchronise the sequence with the breast bobbage frequency, it might be possible to use breasts as an energy storage device, a bit like a self oscillating capacitor inductor circuit.

:clap:

Rachel

mmilner said:
Amy said:

Excellent post Amy, very informative, I'm only a 38b though so don't have the same problems as you...

I seem to get by with srt, but ladders are completely impossible ....it really annoys me when male cavers tell me that all I have to do is keep my chest close to the ladder. Yes, I do - but my arms are almost at full stretch!  I'd love to see a bloke try to climb a ladder efficiently with a couple of footballs down his oversuit catching on every rung  :-[

Pitlamp

Rachel said:
mmilner said:
Amy said:

I seem to get by with srt, but ladders are completely impossible ....it really annoys me when male cavers tell me that all I have to do is keep my chest close to the ladder. Yes, I do - but my arms are almost at full stretch!  I'd love to see a bloke try to climb a ladder efficiently with a couple of footballs down his oversuit catching on every rung  :-[

martinm

Rachel said:
mmilner said:
Amy said:

I'd love to see that too, lol.  :)

martinm

Rachel said:

As an afterthought, this probably explains why a female friend of mine struggles climbing ladders. (She's not competent in SRT.) She's a generous C cup, your comment has made me rethink about why this was so. My male friends have just said, "Oh, she's rubbish climbing ladders." But now I think I know why. (Lots of extra effort for the arms in keeping yourself upright, etc.) Thanx Rachel.  8) It would be cool if we could find a way of overcoming this problem... Maybe making them stiffer so they don't flex so much when u r climbing them? But I guess that would make them a lot heavier and more difficult to coil up. Hmm.  :-\

blackshiver

I know a few blokes who's bellys give them the same issues on ladders, but I suppose the centre of gravity's a bit lower and its definitely going to be less photogenic.

bograt

A tight, reinforced sports bra, the wife wears them all the time for work, I can't get anywhere near her!!  :mad:

Amy

Glad this was helpful =)

In further news...I'm working on debunking vertical myths because OMG - not all body types are the same! I'm on a mission now....

Females and top-heavy males, anyone who falls away from the rope...perhaps this will help....comparison of high vs low attachment points (where the d-mallion/halfround sits) on caving harnesses. Thus far emphasis, at least here in the states, is that espcially for frogging a low attachment point is required. Well...not true... watch for more info!

Vertical Mythbusters: Seat Harness Attachment Point

simonsays

Amy said:
Glad this was helpful =)

In further news...I'm working on debunking vertical myths because OMG - not all body types are the same! I'm on a mission now....

Females and top-heavy males, anyone who falls away from the rope...perhaps this will help....comparison of high vs low attachment points (where the d-mallion/halfround sits) on caving harnesses. Thus far emphasis, at least here in the states, is that espcially for frogging a low attachment point is required. Well...not true... watch for more info!

Vertical Mythbusters: Seat Harness Attachment Point

Amy,

firstly can I just say thank you for going to the time and trouble of making and posting this video. Bravo!

I had to watch it twice, the first time I spent the whole video trying to work out if that really was a pink duo on your head. :)

I too have centre of gravity issues when in harness. I don't share your body shape but the end result (head lower than feet) is all too familiar... I continue to address the issue one salad at a time.

I've spoken to loads of very skilled srt practitioners and sellers of equipment trying to make my life on rope easier but they all seemed to share the same quality.... They were either stick-thin or if they did have a few spare pounds then they would have arms like popeye!

I have been wondering about the low attachment point = efficient srt equation for a while now and your video has hit the nail on the head for me. To be honest I could care less if my steps are a little smaller than someone else's.  Better that than having to do the equivalent of a continuous sit-up all the way up the pitch.

I now need to work out how to modify my existing harness to raise the attachment point a little. Any ideas? Anyone?

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2