Car Parking Charges

Moose

Maybe try parking the car upside down and having the ticket the right way round, see how he likes that?

Big Jim

Or tell them you were born with your head upside down and have them under Disability Discrimination! ;)

Antwan

dfb83bfe17effa498f276a980646cd64.jpg

bograt

I've never come across a parking meter that says you have to, they just say display clearly. If everyone puts them in upside down and then retains their ticket as proof of payment, the companies going to look right silly if they try to take you to court.

EwanCameron

100% do not pay it they can not do you at all

If they send it to court use the system to contest it and they will drop it

Tripod

I recall the day on which parking at Matlock Bath Station became Pay and Display. A group of, newly employed I would assume, parking attendants (what is the official title?) were behaving like brainless yobs, bragging loudly about their "achievements" to each other, including "did you see that one, he had his ticket upside down". The small party I was with were a hairs breadth from reporting the obnoxious and unreasonable behaviour to the Council and/or the Press. The staff employed to enforce the parking conditions were so preoccupied with themselves and the "fun" time they were having that the actually failed to spot some excess time parking.

There was a time when there was no need to worry about being pursued for payment when parking in Peak Park or Derbyshire Dales car parks, the only problem being to remember which authority could not act.

As for private companies being employed to run Council car parks  would like to see the sums. Is there something about Council staff carrying money though? In any case, paying a proportion of the price of parking to shareholders in a private company makes less sense to me than spending it more directly on maintenance.

Les W

I'm assuming that by upside down he means face down so you cannot see the text.  :sneaky:

However, not paying is the way forward...  (y)

bograt

Les W said:
I'm assuming that by upside down he means face down so you cannot see the text.  :sneaky:

However, not paying is the way forward...  (y)
Naah, upside down means the warden gets a crick in the neck (HSE Regs) trying to read it, back to front is just silly and contravenes the "Display Clearly rule!).

Pitlamp

I never quite managed to work out how they conned enough of the population that paying to park a car was acceptable anyway. Take those parking meters that have appeared in recent years on the road between Castleton and the junction where you turn off for Winnats. Why is the council apparently allowed to extort more money from people who have already paid for use of the public road via their road tax? This also results in serious problems for village residents because when people are justifiably reluctant to pay twice to use the road they end up cluttering up the residential areas.

It's not as if you actually get anything in return for wasting your hard earned money in this way. I despair when I see all those people, zombie like, feeding those evil machines without so much as even considering why. What a dreadful state this country has descended into.

underground

I've read a few things about cyclists v motorists and the issue of Vehicle Excise Duty recently (one example - the upshot being, every taxpayer pays for the roads - VED is a punishment relative to the vehicle's emissions, and doesn't fund the roads, so they say.

Good point though Pitlamp, the above is presented without comment. I suspect that the councils would impose 'walking on the pavement charges' if they thought people would pay it. There's also the question of nimbyism. A while ago I wanted to explore some local woodland, there is one house anywhere near the place, and I parked the car on a verge (all 4 wheels on it, no obstruction caused, and sure enough on return found a snotty note on the wiper exclaiming that this was a 'sft verge and I'd better not park there again, as it was inside the Peak Park and allsorts of other nonsensical bollocks - it was actually outside the PDNP boundary as I subsequently checked) They just didn't like anyone parking outside their house. 'A local verge for local people'...

Tripod

I wonder if the parking attendant persons receive training in what to look for in order to issue penalty tickets, rather than, for example, how to read a ticket by facing in the opposite direction, or even using a bit of common sense. Extra income generation?

dunc

In the course of my job I've seen a fair few "notices" outside/near property along the lines of not parking on this bit - all on a public road, if I ever needed to then, assuming no yellow lines etc: I'll park where I please thank you very much!

As u/g says; it's VED not road tax - no such thing exists these days, despite popular use of the wording "road tax". The incorrect terminology just fuels the "anti-brigade", most commonly used as a piece of ammo by the pro-car brigade against cyclists/horses/anything else that gets in my way to justify their self imposed ideal of "superiority over all else on the road, because I pay for it".

To get back on topic; I'd agree with the above, ignore the damn thing! And to answer Tripods comment; being a trained-twat and over-zealous with rules usually equals more potential for issuing "invoices" - a fair number of mugs still pay up and thus it's profitable for them to work in this manner. This is modern Britain and that means profit/greed comes well above service.