• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Ultra sonic cleaners ?

topcat

Does anyone use an ultra sonic cleaner for things like krabs?  Seems like a good idea and I can't see a problem if you only use water and washing up liquid rather than a solvent.

But what about soft stuff like cows tails?  [thinking lazy, leave krabs on cows tails]

Roger W

I did once wonder about the possibility of an ultrasonic cleaner for rope washing.  I think when I looked it up, prices for u/s cleaners big enough to take a decent length of rope were prohibitively high. 

The ultrasonic vibrations should shake the muck off of whatever you are cleaning and disperse it in the solvent.  Hopefully it would shake the muck out of the rope fibres and not drive it further in.  Your best solvent for mud shifting, I would think, is good old water.

JasonC

I can't imagine any high-tech solution being quicker than water and an old nail brush

Fulk

Hi Jason, I can just imagine you scrubbing every inch  ? mm even ? of a 100-m rope with a 'good old nail-brush'. Happy New Year, Fulk.

topcat

I wasn't thinking about ropes, just the cowstails. :)

The main use would be for krabs / maillons and jammers.

I've found one for ?90 that should take these items.

Bob Smith

My ?20 lidl cleaner is large enough to fit a set of cowstails. I think they have them in store at the moment as well.

Tangent_tracker

I often do stuff like crabs etc. and they are superb for torches and the bezel of an oldham lamp etc. As for ropes I would rather not, as suggested above there is no way to tell which way the bits of grit could go - the cavitation by ultrasonic action could surely push inner cores apart and allow the further ingress of bits of calcite etc...?

Reeve

Ultrasonic baths are great for metal work, either de.ionised water or even a mild citric acid mix.

As for ropes etc I either wash by hand or use the washing machine with a little washing up liquid. Best to make sure the wife is out first though.

Hth g.

crickleymal

Tangent_tracker said:
I often do stuff like crabs etc. and they are superb for torches and the bezel of an oldham lamp etc. As for ropes I would rather not, as suggested above there is no way to tell which way the bits of grit could go - the cavitation by ultrasonic action could surely push inner cores apart and allow the further ingress of bits of calcite etc...?

Why would ultrasound push dirt into the rope any more than using a scrubbing brush? I would have though a brush would be quite likely to do exactly that.

Tangent_tracker

crickleymal said:
Tangent_tracker said:

Why would ultrasound push dirt into the rope any more than using a scrubbing brush? I would have though a brush would be quite likely to do exactly that.

To be honest I was thinking aloud more than anything, I really have not got a clue! I was thinking along the lines that when using a brush the rope is under tension, so you are less likely to push grit further into the rope, in an ultrasonic bath the rope will relax and the very nature of the process could further separate layers / strands of rope... I guess the same argument could be used for machine washing... WOuld be interesting to see if anyone has ever actually studied the cores of ropes under control tests...
Anyway, as I really don't know I will stick to conventional methods and use my ultrasonic cleaner for stuff that I know benefits from this type of cleaning ;-)

Blakethwaite

I understood, perhaps incorrectly, that the problem with pressure-washing ropes was that microscopic sharp bits could get forced into and abrade the core rather than it being an issue of the core simply becoming dirty.

That said, have pressure washed mine plenty without any obvious side effects. Touch wood.

topcat

Burt said:
you'll never get an oversuit in one.

Aye, bit of a shame really :)
But then the oversuit in the washing machine doesn't clunk as much as krabs, stops and ascenders.  I have to leave the house as it is too noisy and the dog goes daft............. :LOL:

Bottlebank

Having just fixed the washing machine earlier today I'm feeling slightly smug as the problem was caused by a button jamming the outlet and nothing to do with caving gear :)

Bob Mehew

paul said:
Regarding using pressure washers to wash ropes, someone has done basic testing. See http://www.onrope1.com/Myth8.htm
I remain skeptical about this 'evidence' mainly because it was done on American rope rather than European rope.  The few American ropes I have handled suggest to me that the sheath is far more tightly woven, so is less likely to let 'bits' into the core.  (They are made to a different standard.)  It would be nice to do a simple experiment to look for dirt (silica & limestone) in the core as opposed to what I suspect is staining from organics in the cave water.  Does any one have access to a scanning electron microscope (or similar beast which can determine atomic species present)?     

Grizzlybear

My mum washes my caving gear thats so its not rough on my skin [and sos not to mucky my dads car] I dont no what she d think about  sonic shes very traditional my mum

Using an ultrasonic cleaner for caving ironmongery is a bit OTT really. You only need em vaguely mud free, rather than ready for the operatiing theatre after all.

I have been half tempted to buy one for cleaning (disassembled) diving gear (ie valves and the like), but caving kit - hell no!

I can only imagine what lenghts you go to on your washing up. Letting the dog lick the plates clean is more than enough :)