• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Mornington Crescent ISIHAC & Hidden Earth Thanks

ALEXW

I echo the sentiments of the previous correspondents, it was a fantastic weekend. THANK YOU!

However since yesterday I have had several sleepless nights pondering the slack umpiring that allowed the ?upstream? team in the Mendip version of Mornington Crescent to retain the point on the third move. Surly the FD rule (GG was ineligible as we were too far south) should have been invoked especially since the CROW (competition rules on weekends) situation has been resolved.
Somebody please explain

Mrs Trellis

ALEXW said:
I echo the sentiments of the previous correspondents, it was a fantastic weekend. THANK YOU!

However since yesterday I have had several sleepless nights pondering the slack umpiring that allowed the ?upstream? team in the Mendip version of Mornington Crescent to retain the point on the third move. Surly the FD rule (GG was ineligible as we were too far south) should have been invoked especially since the CROW (competition rules on weekends) situation has been resolved.
Somebody please explain

In simple terms they were playing Balch's bypass convention which allows known grid refernces to be substituted by letters if the move would have put a player in danger of callout.

ALEXW

In simple terms they were playing Balch's bypass convention which allows known grid refernces to be substituted by letters if the move would have put a player in danger of callout.

Thanks for that, it seems obvious now you have explained it, Cheers!! :beer:

Mrs Trellis

No problemo - it's a simple game really. Too many players forget the various conventions , reverse parallels, and forfeits ; thus overcomplicating a straightforward game.

You obviously forgot that September is an odd-numbered month with an even number of days- that makes all the difference.

ALEXW

No problemo - it's a simple game really. Too many players forget the various conventions , reverse parallels, and forfeits ; thus overcomplicating a straightforward game.

You obviously forgot that September is an odd-numbered month with an even number of days- that makes all the difference.

I forgot that we still have Scotland, I expected them to independent and that would have invoked the Haggis projection.

For reference

http://www.isihac.co.uk/games/mcvariations/

Mrs Trellis

I'm a huge fan of T20 Blast version of Mornington Crescent. First one to say the blessed words in the approved fashion wins - see Wilson, Kepple & Betty 1932.  I still have fond memories of the full five day version though.

ALEXW

Oh memories, my grandfather would often, and with a tear in his eye, tell tales of the WK and B variation. It is still invoked in some backroom games but, alas, since the common market it has become too risky for most.

mrodoc

ALEXW said:

Somebody please explain
(y) :beer:

Alex

I wish I knew what you were all on about, I was in that one too and I still don't understand any rules. Is it one of these games where you make up the rules as you do along?

Les W

Alex said:
I wish I knew what you were all on about, I was in that one too and I still don't understand any rules. Is it one of these games where you make up the rules as you do along?

:clap: (y)

Mrs Trellis

Alex said:

Go and wash your mouth out with soap.  The rules and most variations have been published many times.  You can't just say anything.

ALEXW

Don't let Alex fool you, he is just trying to get you to play him a high stakes game of Morington Crescent, then he will just hustle you.

bograt

Aah yes, the old 'Huntingdon Hustle' manoevre, be careful Alex, thats been outlawed for some time!

ALEXW

Aah yes, the old 'Huntingdon Hustle' manoevre, be careful Alex, thats been outlawed for some time!

Not in Yorkshire, it is compulsory on weekends.

bograt

But there again, I suspect there are significant differences between regional interpretations of the laws of the game, for example, is it true that the 'Yorkshire rules' disregard the 'triple score' option on a five move finish?

P.S., please disregard the 'Diccan & Batty Wife Hole' hustle, I believe this was nullified by the 'Meregill intervention' back in '56.

Fulk

Would it be asking too much for a moderator to separate this garbage onto a new thread, and leave this one for 'kosher' HE comments?

bograt

Fulk said:
Would it be asking too much for a moderator to separate this garbage onto a new thread, and leave this one for 'kosher' HE comments?

Maybe so, but I was enjoying it. ;) ;)  (y) (y)