• The Derbyshire Caver, No. 158

The latest issue is finally complete and printed

Subscribers should have received their issue in the post - please let us know if you haven't. For everyone else, the online version is now available for free download:

Click here for download link

ridge quarry closed

Markie87

went over to ridge quarry yesterday and its now got a padlocked metal gate over the only entrance making it impossible to get in there. does anyone know why theyve done this? its completely pointless, if its to stop theiving pikeys getting into monks park do they realize all someone would have to do is take the step nearest to the door out with a hammer and bolster at monks park main entrance and go through the hole

popeass1

It's because there was a spate of vandalism at the yard where the shaft is located apparently. I suppose the idea is to remove people's reason for being there?

Markie87

great. so  few kids who probably didnt even go down ridge quarry cause damage to a load of stuff above ground and make it so no1 can go down there again

popeass1

That's what the guy who live across the road told me, they slashed tyres on all the vehicles, and tried to spraypaint s tractor?! It was around the time Hanson started securing everything, so who really knows?

Markie87

i bet it had nothing to do with ridge. most likely the rat kids from potley down the road who have nothing better to do

Markie87

it looked like one of the 4 bolts holding it down shattered the rock it was going into so i guess it wouldnt be that hard to just smash the whole thing off with a hammer

graham

Markie87 said:
it looked like one of the 4 bolts holding it down shattered the rock it was going into so i guess it wouldnt be that hard to just smash the whole thing off with a hammer

Are you advocating criminal damage on a public forum? I hope not.

Wayland Smith

Markie87 said:
whats that supposed to mean
Lets be open here.
It means if you want to make statements about using illegal entry on a public forum
they are not welcome here.
Is that clear enough!

Markie87

im not saying im going to do anything illegal to get in there. im just stating that if someone did want to get in there it wouldnt be that hard...and i bet nobody did anything to the land owners vehicles, its probably just because they dont want anyone going on their land to get to the entrance to ridge and have thought up that bs excuse to close it up, which is pathetic

graham

Markie87 said:
im not saying im going to do anything illegal to get in there. im just stating that if someone did want to get in there it wouldnt be that hard...and i bet nobody did anything to the land owners vehicles, its probably just because they dont want anyone going on their land to get to the entrance to ridge and have thought up that bs excuse to close it up, which is pathetic

So it's pathetic for landowners to not want any old idiot wandering around their land? m'kay ...

Markie87

all im saying is that if they deprive people from going down there someone will get in if they are that determined....as you can see at sands and when you get to the area bordering the mod in box mine someone has used power tools to cut through a thick metal fence.

Markie87

no graham im saying its pathetic to deprive people of access to ridge just because they are "get orf moy laaand" sorta people when nobody is doing them any harm so why do they care. im not sure i believe the criminal damage to vehicles story i think they just want to keep people well away because its their land

Markie87

because the people who damaged their vehicles were obviously kids and not people who want to explore ridge so closing ridge is pointless as kids can still get to and damage everything above ground. all it does is stop people going into the mine, it wont stop kids mesing around in their yard. i mean you can get into backdoor in box which is in someones garden and they dont care if youre on their land so why should these lot?

Peter Burgess

Some owners care about it and others don't. They are not obliged to follow each others' example and not be bothered by visitors. You did not answer Droid's question - if they don't want people there, and they own it, they have the right to refuse entry and others have the responsibility to respect that. What's wrong with that? It may be frustrating but we can't always have everything we want, unfortunately.