• The Derbyshire Caver, No. 158

The latest issue is finally complete and printed

Subscribers should have received their issue in the post - please let us know if you haven't. For everyone else, the online version is now available for free download:

Click here for download link

Jug Holes - Blue Arrows

Madness

I've been down Jug Holes tonight and was sad to see that some misguided person has taken it upon themselves to spray paint a load of blue arrows at strategic points in the upper series. They are not small, being over a foot in length. They look to be fairly recent additions. I managed to remove one of them that had been sprayed on wet rock but the others will need a wire brush.

Pete K

Thanks for the info Madness.
Such an annoyance when this happens but at least there's not been a bad outbreak for a few years.

I think this stuff is best dealt with promptly before it attracts more, so on that note; would anyone like to volunteer to join me Sunday or during the next week to get this paint scrubbed off?

Pete K
DCA Projects

Pete K

Please keep comments about the access stuff where it belongs. We're quite happy with open and progressive access in the Peak, even if it means the odd bit of scrubbing.

Madness

I should have been a bit more accurate with my original post. 'Loads' of arrows in reality is less than ten (that I saw).

One person with a wire brush would probably do it in an hour. I'm in Matlock on Sunday morning so I could pop in and do it.

I agree about puting a sign up.

Pete K

Madness said:
I should have been a bit more accurate with my original post. 'Loads' of arrows in reality is less than ten (that I saw).

One person with a wire brush would probably do it in an hour. I'm in Matlock on Sunday morning so I could pop in and do it.

Thanks Madness, I think I might have found a few volunteers to join you on Sunday. Any idea when you'll be over?

Madness

Pete K said:
Madness said:

Thanks Madness, I think I might have found a few volunteers to join you on Sunday. Any idea when you'll be over?

I'll try to be there at 10am. With a few people it should be a very short job.

paul

[gmod]The point of this Topic was to request assistance with cleaning up some painter arrows in Jug Holes, not to discuss Conservation Issues.

I have split off the off-topic posts to a new Topic in the Cave Conservation part of the Forum at http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=19413.0

Please confine any more replies here to helping with removing the painted arrows and if you want to discuss the Conservation side, use the other Topic at http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=19413.0 [/gmod]

Madness

Unless individuals really want to visit Jug Holes on Sunday I can't see the point of people traveling far in order to lend a hand. I honestly don't think that it will take that long. Given that Jug Holes is wet and muddy I doubt that the paint will have adhered very well. Having said that I'll be happy to see anyone who did turn up.

Madness

Dropped into Jug Holes this morning to clean the arrows off. As expected the paint hadn't stuck very well so came off relatively easy. Removed 13 arrows from the upper series and 3 arrows of older vintage from the mine workings.

The blue arrows in the upper series were definitely marking out a circuit.

Let's hope the perpetrator gets the message.

Madness

No thanks necessary. I think we are all prepared to do our bit to make caving enjoyable for ourselves and others, and seeing coloured arrows does nothing for my enjoyment.

Pete K

I second that and apologise that work today has prevented me from getting over to meet you and help.
On behalf of the DCA, many thanks for your efforts.
Pete

Madness

Pete K said:
I second that and apologise that work today has prevented me from getting over to meet you and help.
On behalf of the DCA, many thanks for your efforts.
Pete

No worries Pete

There was no point in people traveling far when I was going to be in Matlock Saturday night/Sunday morning. It helped take my mind off my fuzzy head.