• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

Future proof seed vault

whitelackington

The final design for a "doomsday" vault that will house seeds from all known varieties of food crops has been unveiled by the Norwegian government. :beer:

The Svalbard International Seed Vault will be built into a mountainside on a remote island near the North Pole.

The vault aims to safeguard the world's agriculture from future catastrophes, such as nuclear war, asteroid strikes and climate change.

Construction begins in March, and the seed bank is scheduled to open in 2008.

The Norwegian government is paying the $5m (£2.5m) construction costs of the vault, which will have enough space to house three million seed samples.

See inside the Svalbard International Seed Vault

The collection and maintenance of the collection is being organised by the Global Crop Diversity Trust, which has responsibility of ensuring the "conservation of crop diversity in perpetuity".

"We want a safety net because we do not want to take too many chances with crop biodiversity," said Cary Fowler, the Trust's executive director.

"Can you imagine an effective, efficient, sustainable response to climate change, water shortages, food security issues without what is going to go in the vault - it is the raw material of agriculture."

Future proof

The seed vault will be built 120m (364ft) inside a mountain on Spitsbergen, one of four islands that make up Svalbard.

Map showing location of Svalbard (Image: BBC)

Dr Fowler said Svalbard, 1,000km (621 miles) north of mainland Norway, was chosen as the location for the vault because it was very remote and it also offered the level of stability required for the long-term project.

"We looked very far into the future. We looked at radiation levels inside the mountain, and we looked at the area's geological structure," he told BBC News.

"We also modelled climate change in a drastic form 200 years into future, which included the melting of ice sheets at the North and South Poles, and Greenland, to make sure that this site was above the resulting water level."

whitelackington

I first heard about this project years ago but just came across this article,
so construction is actually going to start next year, brilliant. :clap:

AndyF

.errr..there already is one..

http://www.kew.org/msbp/

Seeds don't last forever though. Its just big EU funded waste of money. What is it for? If you destroy the envirnment, the seeds are useless, if the envirnoment is intact, you don't need the seed bank. QED

whitelackington

I think you will find
NORWAY were clever enough to turn back, whilst on the edge of being talked
into joining The Common Market.

They did not join.

How bloody clever of them.
Why can't we have a vote to get out? :cautious:

whitelackington

If you are in business,
you have to keep re-evaluating your connections,
The EU is the biggest business around,
why can't we, The U.K. voters,
be given another chance,
to run away from all the bureaucracy.
According to David Miliband,
"The reason we did not ban partly processed Turkey burgers from 30 miles away from bird flu infected areas in Hungary
was it would be against EU rules." o_O
We stick to the rules as if handed down by God,
actually more than if they were handed down by God.
It is this sort of nonsense, crippling ourselves with an ever increasing
over burden of rules,
that pisses me off.
Our country is definitely not our own any more. :mad:
Stuff The EU and its rules :mad:

Hughie

AndyF said:
whitelackington said:
Why can't we have a vote to get out? :cautious:

We did have a vote. In 1975. And we voted to stay in.....  ;)

Very true. I bollock my father most days as he voted to stay in.
However, he keeps using the excuse that what they voted for then has turned into something very different from what they were expecting. Unless, of course, they didn't listen properly.

AndyF

The EU has a lot of problems, without doubt, but you have to balance it with the positives, and also look to the long term.

As a trading block, the EU is now a larger market than the USA. Do you want to be in or out of that block?

As a farmer, which side the EU tariffs do you want to be on? Do you want the same trading terms as, say, African states?

Within the next few years, the dollar will be toast, and the Euro will be the world primary currency. It will happen as soon as OPEC start pricing oil in dollars, that has started on a small scale already.

So many stories about the EU are utter b*****x, remember the headlines "EU bans doorstep milk delivery, EU bans british bangers, EU says bananas must be straight". All tosh, made up by the papers.

How about "EU stops UK pumping raw sewage onto the beaches?" Not quite as headline grabbing.

Anyone complaining about booze cruises?

Anyone want to apply for a visa for certain EU countries, or need to take out medical insurance when you got to Europe?

People love to winge about what they see as a problem, but totally ignore the good things.

There are parties that want us out of Europe Vote for them if you want, but you'll be in the minority.

Hughie

AndyF said:
The EU has a lot of problems, without doubt, but you have to balance it with the positives, and also look to the long term.

As a trading block, the EU is now a larger market than the USA. Do you want to be in or out of that block?

As a farmer, which side the EU tariffs do you want to be on? Do you want the same trading terms as, say, African states?

Within the next few years, the dollar will be toast, and the Euro will be the world primary currency. It will happen as soon as OPEC start pricing oil in dollars, that has started on a small scale already.

So many stories about the EU are utter b*****x, remember the headlines "EU bans doorstep milk delivery, EU bans british bangers, EU says bananas must be straight". All tosh, made up by the papers.

How about "EU stops UK pumping raw sewage onto the beaches?" Not quite as headline grabbing.

Anyone complaining about booze cruises?

Anyone want to apply for a visa for certain EU countries, or need to take out medical insurance when you got to Europe?

People love to winge about what they see as a problem, but totally ignore the good things.

There are parties that want us out of Europe Vote for them if you want, but you'll be in the minority.

Good points, AndyF - but is it worth £115,000,000 per week (after EU grants and subsidies)?
We could use that money to finance several more wars at £4million/day. More usefully, I suspect that money could be better spent on NHS, Education etc.

The EU is so unified, it's members couldn't even agree on the constitution - to the extent that the more powerful countries abandoned referendum plans, when they saw how the tide of public opinion was turning. Notably the less wealthy countries ratified the constitution very quickly. I wonder why?

For the 12th year running, auditors have been unable to validate the Commissions accounts. No business in this country could operate like that. Strikes me as a gravy train for failed politicians, eurocrats and their expense accounts. No corruption there then, is there?

Agri subsidies I hear you say. Do away with them (we already have, actually) - let's have a level playing field, I say.

When was oil valued in anything other than dollars? This is a new one on me.

I'm not anti EU, just think it needs an awful lot of work to make it work (and less failed/corrupt politicians running it).

However, as we live in a democratic society, I'm happy to go with the flow.

Just out of interest, because I'm very aware I live and work in an insular world, can somebody tell me the good points of EU membership, that membership of EFTA (European Free Trade Association) wouldn't bring?

AndyF

Hughie said:

http://energybulletin.net/123.html

During the oil-for-food program, Iraq was pricing oil in Euros. This was encouraging OPEC to look more seriously at it.

The USA relies totally on oil pricing in dollars. Pulling oil out of the ground in Saudi at $50 a barrel allows the US to print a $50 bill. It is this mechanisim that prevents the US defeict bankrupts the USA. Changing to Euros will deliver a body blow to the US economy, and they are terrified of it happening.

It is argued (as a conspiracy theory partly) that this was the REAL reason for the US invasion of Iraq, to warn OPEC of the consequences of changing to the Euro. Iraq oil is now priced in dollars again....

What other countries are considering the move? Well Venezuala for start. Heard of any anti-Venezualan rhetoric from the US lately?

Some Russian gas is alread Euro denominated, there oil may follow suit...

As for EU corruption, yes it's rife. So it needs fixing. Not much more corrupt than Westminster IMHO. Honours anyone?

It will take 50 years for a fully working EU to take form, it's early days yet but the benefits are huge. Simply the absence of European war is worth it.....we take that for granted now, but historicaly its rare.

Les W

AndyF said:
It will happen as soon as OPEC start pricing oil in dollars, that has started on a small scale already.

I think this is why Hughie questioned your post.

Perhaps a typo?

whitelackington

Hughie's father probably voted, like most people for The Common Market.
I expect he was lied to by our politicians. :eek:
Remember The weapons of mass distraction, :mad:
remember the Iraq missiles aimed and ready to go at U.K. bases in Cyprus, :confused:
remember them rubbishing Doctor Kelly. :cautious:

Hardly surprising Hughie's pop was taken in by their lies.

It has been going nearly half a century now but they keep changing the name.
I never voted for any union, did you.
In a dozen years, you'd have thought they could sign off the accounts,
can't find an accountant who wants to take the prison stretch for them,
when years later the accounts will be proved nonsense.
A parallel here with corruption is our very own labour party,
their own treasures blew the whistle on them
but still Tony hangs on  and expects us to believe his lies.
Let us dump the corrupt EU & Tony Liar.

graham

Hughie said:

One of the major causes of the Iraq war was the fact that Saddam was going to start flogging his oil in € rather than $. Iran is going down the same route. See http://www.aljazeera.com/cgi-bin/review/article_full_story.asp?service_ID=9752 for example.

Why else do you think that the US wants to bomb 'em?

Hughie

Graham, AndyF. I was unaware of this. Interesting link.
Peter - political argument/debate  doesn't hurt. It makes one think about different perspectives and viewpoints.

D

darkplaces

EU, Europe and the EC are all different things. We can pull out of Europe yet still trade within Europe. Nothing would change, just because we pull out of Europe doesn't mean everyone will think we turned into something different. Infact we would be better off as without all the silly regulation we would be more efficant and 'cheaper', less hoops to jump though, and no longer having to hand over BILLIONS to Europe to pay for the Cheese eating surrender monkeys farm subs.

Back to topic - I too fail to see the point of the doomsday bank if some seeds only last 20 years, unless its used like a sequential backup, adding new seeds every 5 years as a separate store.

graham

c**tplaces said:
... as without all the silly regulation we would be more efficant and 'cheaper'....

Which is fine if you are a rich capitalist parasite, less fine if you are a poor downtrodden worker.

Peter Burgess

Hughie said:
Graham, AndyF. I was unaware of this. Interesting link.
Peter - political argument/debate  doesn't hurt. It makes one think about different perspectives and viewpoints.
Of course it doesn't hurt. This topic, however, was never intended to become a debate about the EU. We are all a bit slack when it comes to straying off topic.