• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

My wife's computer is going very slow and she is making my life a misery

rhychydwr1

She has an Asus A6 series entertainment notebook, running XP.  It is as if the hard drive is running all the time at a furious rate, even when the machine is idle.  It takes for ever to get on the internet and to load programs.  Please help................................

ChrisJC

Some ideas:
You are owned by a virus
Check task manager to see what is going on
Your Anti-Virus may be hogging the CPU
You may not have enough RAM

Chris.

P.S. Suggested fix - get Linux.

M

Mr Boost

I had the same prob .  I saved everything important  on disc ect . And then using the Re-Boot disc wiped it clean . Then loaded up all my info and was away again  . Just had to re-load all extra software ...  Like Brand New  (y)

rhychydwr1

ChrisJC said:
Some ideas:
You are owned by a virus

Chris.

I think you might be right about the antivirus, which is Norton, as it seems to be doing scans all the time.  How do I stop it doing this.

graham

rhychydwr1 said:
ChrisJC said:
Some ideas:
You are owned by a virus

Chris.

I think you might be right about the antivirus, which is Norton, as it seems to be doing scans all the time.  How do I stop it doing this.

OK

Dowload AVG antivirus (free edition) and Microsoft's Windows Defender.

Disconnect from t'net.

Uninstall anything from Norton

Install the above, run scans.

connect to t'net.

Update & scan again.

rhychydwr1

graham said:
rhychydwr1 said:
ChrisJC said:
Some ideas:
You are owned by a virus

Chris.

OK

Dowload AVG antivirus (free edition) and Microsoft's Windows Defender.

Disconnect from t'net.

Uninstall anything from Norton

Install the above, run scans.

connect to t'net.

Update & scan again.
Many thanks.  I am doing a disc cleanup at the moment, but will certainly do this tomorrow.  Actually I am not making Tony's life a misery as he has to keep asking me to sort out his computer problems, I think he is galled because I am more of an expert than he is, but the above had me beat!!!

SamT

rhychydwr1 said:
Actually I am not making Tony's life a misery as he has to keep asking me to sort out his computer problems, I think he is galled because I am more of an expert than he is, but the above had me beat!!!

tee hee hee

Peter Burgess

I had a similar problem until I found that my antivirus update etc settings were on automatic download and install. Thing have been much better since I amended the settings to download and ASK before installing. I can now delay the install until a time more convenient to me.

ChrisB

As recommended above but note that Norton doesn't always uninstall properly using "add/remove Programs" In case of problems just Google "norton uninstall" 

Another thing to check is that XP's "fast find" isn't enabled. It's supposed to build indexes of the hard disk when the computer isn't busy, so that it finds things faster, but it tends to try to work when it is busy. To turn it off, right click the disk icon, choose Properties, the General tab, then Advanced and clear the tick in the box.

Chris

A

andymorgan

Press ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up task manager. Click the 'processes' tab and you should be able to find out what is using your CPU and/or memory. It should identify if Norton is causing the slowdown. You can Google the 'Image Name' if you don't recognise the program in the description.

francis

andymorgan said:
Press ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up task manager. Click the 'processes' tab and you should be able to find out what is using your CPU and/or memory.

Ctrl-Shift-Esc takes you straight there  :sneaky:

Francis