rocktalk thread re: HSE and work at height

Rachel

Does this mean that srt courses wouldn't happen? And what is the implication for more experienced cavers within a club who are passing on skills to novices? There would be no cash exchanging hands, so they surely can't be classed as giving professional instruction, but it raises pretty serious issues about where the fine line is to be drawn exactly. In the long term, if people are training behind closed doors (as they will - just try telling a Yorkshire caver that he/she isn't allowed to do something), then the lack of open discussion will hinder any poor sod novice who's hoping to log on here and get advice in the techniques section.

My advice to the HSE - try the double rope technique yourselves. One round the neck and one round the bollocks should do it.

:LOL:

Rachel

bubba

Administrator
A tricky issue - I know people who use double rope SRT systems on building sites, where it makes perfect sense, but I can see Alan James' concerns over this getting out of hand.

Stu

the HSE have listened to delegations from all sorts of professional bodies, perhaps the most relevant (outside of caving) being AMI and the BMG. neither felt that the HSE were taking much notice of what was being said. anyway, i did my bit as i'm in the profession.

dunc

just try telling a Yorkshire caver that he/she isn't allowed to do something
Very true!!!! :up:

So would they follow people down caves/pots to check up that techniques are being applied in the correct fashion then??

But at the end of the day what else would we expect... its just typical of this country, far too many politically correct nannying muppets about that wish to control our every move :eek:ut:

paul

This 2 rope business has been rumbling around for ages. The cavers most likely to be affected are instructors.

The problem is that if it became standard practice while under instruction (that is paid instruction from a qualified instructor) those outside the sport would possibly question why cavers were only using a single rope if there were to be an unfortunate accident.

Its is patently obvious that 2 ropes would be worse in SRT than one as it would make things much more complicated. But those who make the law don't always listen to common sense!

Stu

paul said:
Its is patently obvious that 2 ropes would be worse in SRT than one as it would make things much more complicated. But those who make the law don't always listen to common sense!

which is why hopefully some people may take the time to follow up with an email to HSE from the thread.

Hammy

As I understand it you can still use one rope so long as it is considered safer - so I'm not sure what all the fuss is about!! - it's clearly safer to use one rope for caving!!!

(I'm playing naive here btw.... :wink: )