First Digging Trip of the Year.

The Old Ruminator

Somewhere on Mendip ----- ::). Late start for me as I have been away.

The shear joy of playing with scaffolding. This is "The Mother of All Boulder Chokes"  which rises up some 20 metres to a chamber though we have bypassed that bit. I wont say scaffolding is popular on Mendip because it isn't. It works for us though and as we are all very old we need a quick fit solution anyway. My beloved Scurion failed as I put my old battery in thinking it would work but it didn't. ( Checked it several times as OK the weeks before ). Much derision from my compatriots and had to borrow an insignificant spare thing the size of a ten pence piece. As much use as a glow worm on the end of a stick. Anyway without me there with a hacksaw ( The angle grinder failed ) the job would not have been done. At least the dim glow got me out of doing any work. The " way on " is vertically down to the side of the choke against a solid wall. The idea is to cage the choke off and go around it.

The Acro props made a perfect horizontal barrier and are pinned to the solid wall either side. The scaffold poles brace this and hopefully protect us from the choke above. Another two poles and some steel mesh might finish the job.

I made up some special clips for the larger diameter Acro prop section.

Normal swivel clip cut in half with a U bolt and bar fitted. That on a spring washer so it still swivels with some resistance.

I find digging is like a journey. Sometimes more rewarding than the destination. Problems to solve, a good workout . A day out with like minded idiots. Topless Aven Dig in Reservoir Hole was an enjoyable time . Finding The Frozen Deep meant the end of it. Sometimes I think it does not really matter if you find nothing at all. Digging certainly beats the mindless repetition of the gym . Long may I have the stamina to pursue it.

Laurie

For once, the dialogue beats the pictures.
Brilliant either way.
Please keep it up OR.  :)

zomjon

Hi OR, definitely in relation to Owd Git, he was referring to Kenilworth, your posts alternatively, are always well appreciated, keep them coming  :beer: