• BCA Finances

An informative discussion

Recently there was long thread about the BCA. I can now post possible answers to some of the questions, such as "Why is the BCA still raising membership prices when there is a significant amount still left in its coffers?"

Click here for more

Red Moss Pot- access

ahinde

The" NEW" entrance to Red Moss Pot( Birkwith, N Yorks) has been blocked by the farmer since he found a dead calf trapped in the entrance. CNCC have agreed to replace the boulders with a new shaft and stock proof lid. The work will start shortly.Please keep away from the new entrance untill this work is completed. We do not want to spoil the good relationship we have with the farmer- Mr Wood of Scale Farm.
I believe the cave is accessible from the original entrance- but great care should be taken to consider the flood risk and the more serious nature of the kneewrecker crawl- see Northern Caves Vol 2.
Andrew Hinde CNCC Conservation Officer.

darwen dave

I visited Red Moss recently finding the entrance blocked off. I wondered what the problem was.

Good work on negotiating a solution, it would be a shame to lose access to this excellent cave.

If you need assistance with the work, PM me.

JasonC

I went there in June, when the entrance was graced by a (fairly) fresh dead lamb.  I remember thinking at the time it was an obvious hazard to stock, and was surprised it wasn't fenced round. As Dave says, well done for maintaining access, but wouldn't a stout fence have been easier ?

ahinde

There are 2 problems with fencing.
The site is soft ground with a shallow soil which makes it difficult to secure strainer posts. The cows tend to enjoy rubbing their backsides on them untill they are uprooted.
Secondly, the compartment also stocks sheep- which means the farmer has to patrol rylock type fencing on a daily basis during post lambing time to extract lambs that get their heads trapped through the square netting. A regular problem with horned sheep. Many cavers have gone to the rescue as they pass such a scene.
thanks for the offers of help- Burnley CC are co ordinating volunteers- when I give them a start date.

JasonC

ahinde said:
There are 2 problems with fencing.
The site is soft ground with a shallow soil which makes it difficult to secure strainer posts. The cows tend to enjoy rubbing their backsides on them untill they are uprooted...
Ah... fair dos - showing my ignorance of rural practicalities !

braveduck

Fencing even worse,when the lambs go right though,because caver's have put the netting upside down
on the posts.Been there,done it.

Small squares at the bottom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!please.