• BCA Finances

An informative discussion

Recently there was long thread about the BCA. I can now post possible answers to some of the questions, such as "Why is the BCA still raising membership prices when there is a significant amount still left in its coffers?"

Click here for more

Newby Moss pot digging

Alex

Is anyone still digging Newby Moss? There are a lot of ladders etc in there, but it don't look like anything has changed since NFTFH was written at least. Anyone interested in re-kindling a digging project in there? There is a lot of depth potential with perhaps only a few meters of digging to get to it. Think of King pot & Gingling for example, the water sinks through a rocky floor like in those caves, worth prodding I think.

jarvist

Ooh, potentially - it's a dig that's almost commutable from London! (Clapham Junction to Clapham Yorkshire, etc.)

Is there really depth potential though? Who originally opened it up? You thinking of working at the very bottom?

Didn't the entrance fall in last year?

Alex

I would think there is lots judging by the caves that are at least 80 deeper in the near by area and yes I would be talking about digging at the bottom where the stream sinks between rocks.

Having been down the cave on Saturday, I can confirm the entrance is open. Did not know there had been a recent collapse, you sure that's not another cave?

dunc

jarvist said:
Is there really depth potential though? Who originally opened it up?
Gritsone surveyed it in the late 60s, so it's probable they opened up.

I did mention to Alex that I recalled reading about the water from various pots on Newby Moss resurging at Moses Well with the flood resurgence being Cat Hole - so in theory potential exists! Can't for the life of me remember where I read it though.

And yes the entrance did shift but was very quickly sorted.

dunc

dunc said:
I did mention to Alex that I recalled reading about the water from various pots on Newby Moss resurging at Moses Well with the flood resurgence being Cat Hole - so in theory potential exists! Can't for the life of me remember where I read it though.
Not sure if it was the place I read it originally but remembered an article in Descent 156, which recounted the efforts put into extending Long Kin West and Pillar Holes in the hope of finding the Newby Moss Master Cave. It mentions, right at the start of the article, the significant depth potential to Moses Well.

It would appear the Moss doesn't give up its secrets easily!

Pitlamp

The Newby Moss chapter in "Limestones & Caves of North West England (Ed. Waltham, 1984) is quite useful.

Alex

Funny I got that book, it look like it joins the Grey wife water according to the diagram. There must be a sizeable passage to take all that water down there, though there is not much info written about it. I guess that is because my edition is from 1974 I think.

barrabus

I believe that Kendal Caving Club did some digging in this area in the late 60's and early 70's. I have found an article in the 1969/1970 journal and might be able to find more when I have more time to search.

Alex, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you what I can find.