trip before the committee meeting, 23rd July

B

Brendan H

Is anyone interested in a trip on Sunday afternon before the committee meeting? I don't have enough experience or skills to lead, but I'm offering to follow or be a buddy.

B

Brendan H

Is that the one where you have your take your helmet off and do something grim lying on your back? Is it a tough trip? :doubt:

I have a rare sunday off, so if the Round Trip is on I'll come along. I've not done it for a few years and I want to see if I can still get through the tight squeeze.

cap n chris

Brendan H said:
Is that the one where you have your take your helmet off and do something grim lying on your back? Is it a tough trip? :doubt:

Perhaps.

Brendan, have you been through the sump yet? If you have then the trip will hold no problems for you.

B

Brendan H

Yes, I've been through sump one. It was lush.

I'll be OK, then.

B

Brendan H

OK, then, the trip is on. :clap:

We're meeting at Priddy Green at 3pm, booted and suited and ready for the round trip, including sump one.

Anyone wishing to come please contact me or Chris Binding (details in the ChCC contacts list).

cap n chris

Martin T has expressed an interest in coming along as has Andy S - but we'll find out tomorrow I speck.  (y)

cap n chris

ROUND TRIP: Swildon's Hole, Sunday 23rd July

Martin T, Brendan H and Cap'n'Chris, 2hrs20mins.

Andy S had things to do so it was just the three of us for this jolly fine little bimble around Swildon's Hole on a hot sunny afternoon. Brendan hadn't been on the RT before and so we were going to have a tourist trip, nosing around and generally enjoying the trip rather than doing a "heads down marathon"; it was a safe bet that the troubles hadn't filled up since Friday although they were quite high so baling wasn't going to be necessary and therefore the trip would be a synch.

Pic of Brendan beforehand:

Travelling light on this trip meant that it was easy progress to the 20' after having met a returning bunch of smiling cavers across the fields who reported that "The cave's all yours" as we approached - there was no queuing at the 20' and everything was smooth, rigged and abbed down and continued, having a breather at the Water Rift where any remaining kit was stashed since it wasn't going to be needed from here on.

Up Tratman's Temple and on to Balch's Forbidden Grotto whereupon the background info to the trip was regaled to B; we then get a bit hot and bothered doing the crawly stuff before arriving at a friendly low mud sump and enjoy the wet wallow through and then on to Shatter Pot and scramble up Greasy Chimney and on to Fault Chamber junction where we have another little rest stop. Brendan then took over the lead and ably navigated to Blue Pencil and over the top to the first of the Troubles which, although quite high - necessitating the old lie-on-your-back-with-your-nose-in-the-roof - was quickly negotiated although the very cold water got in my ears and affected my balance (similarly for Brendan apparently). Quickly through the second trouble and then to the narrow shuffly/crawly stuff.

The squeeze was done without fuss and then the remaining wallows before emerging at the head of the Landing whereupon B recognised his location and the "joining up point" had been achieved.

Simple return up the streamway stopping occasionally and also retrieving the stashed gear before returning up the 20' and then heading back out to emerge into a gorgeously warm welcome atop the Mendips on a glorious summer's early evening at 5:50pm. Squelch back and get a smily pic of B after his first Round Trip!

Brendan afterwards - note the spotlessly clean kit!