• CSCC Newsletter - May 2024

Available now. Includes details of upcoming CSCC Annual General Meeting 10th May 2024

Click here for more info

SRT Trip(s)

cap n chris

Calling all SRT-proficient club members!

It would be nice to get some top trips sorted and I rather fancy a return to Pooth Dooofun, another fumble on the excitingly-named Right Hand Route in Rhino Rift, perhaps some shouting on the big stuff in Frooope Lane Swallet and mebbe some dangling oooop Noorth if we get an Indian Summer and people are prepared to live in abject luxury for a night in a hotel rather than a damp muddy ramshackle B&B whilst ticking some top trips there....

Do feel free to indicate your keen-ness (if any) to grasp this particular nettle.

Toodlepippity-pippers  :sleep:

OOOH... and for starters I've not been down the newly-lidded Star Mine now that it's a free-hang of about 90'; it's only a 45 minute trip so that can be whittled into the cavenotches on a balmy evening. Buenos notches.

Dani

I'm not entirely sure I'd call myself proficient and could do with a bit of practice, but I'd be up for it (y)

A

andymorgan

Ooopp Nooooooooorth would be very good, the trips you have done solo Capn sound mouth watering (if you could eat them :confused:)

whitelackington

Why don't you Cheddar People have a go @ s.r.t.ing Cow Hole, lovely pitch and, apparently,
not done that often. :alien:
Even though, it has been quoted as "Mendips first vertical cave"
but I think that acalade, belongs to Coral Cave, as Coral is vertical and was done first, maybe, whoever wrote that meant, that when they went in Cow Hole they sort of s.r.t.'d it.
What sort of s.r.t. was there in the Thirties?

graham

The big Pitch in Lamb Leer was done using single ropes long before Cow Hole was discovered.  :sneaky:

cap n chris

IIRC Lamb Leer was the deepest known cave in (?Europe) Britain for a while (?100+ years) after its original discovery.

Cow Hole? - Oh, that cave. Isn't that the one where only silly people would dare going since the entrance is an unsupported nightmare of poised choss and boulders and the pitch itself is reported as having no belays available apart from an old bit of chewing gum stuck to a pebble, backed up with a natural thread consisting of a bovine femur wedged between two sandbanks? Also, we're waiting for the cave to be put into a safe(r) condition by the Conservation chappie at MCG, whoever that happens to be....

whitelackington

I have not done either of them as s.r.t.
but I am told by people of an M.C.G. persuasion,
that you can s.r.t. Pinetree Pot as well as waterwheel,
both single pitches,
a bit boring but enjoyable for an s.r.t. first timer, also apparently, swing pitch, in Mendips deepest known cave.

cap n chris

OK. Perceiving that there may be some club members who wish to get into SRT but haven't yet and perhaps some others who have done some SRT but would like to do more, how about the following ideas over which I welcome feedback.

a) Beginners' SRT: learn how to go down/up a bit of reassuringly strong rope

b) Brush-Up on your SRT: re-visiting the basics plus rebelays/deviations/aid traverses: this could lead on to intermediate/advanced trip(s) in Hunters' Hole, Manor Farm, Rhino Rift, Pwll Dwfn etc..

If you would like to do some SRT and if the Wessex will allow us the use of their tower (for a small donation, of course  (y) ) and IF there's a bit of sunshine on a Saturday, we're in business.... indicate your preference(s)*....

* SRT, not sexual.

Les W

whitelackington said:
a bit boring but enjoyable for an s.r.t. first timer, also apparently, swing pitch, in Mendips deepest known cave.
But what about in Mendips deepest unknown cave :D

Les W

cap 'n chris said:
If you would like to do some SRT and if the Wessex will allow us the use of their tower (for a small donation, of course  (y) ) and IF there's a bit of sunshine on a Saturday, we're in business.... indicate your preference(s)*....

You are welcome to use our tower, however it is likely to be in use for at least part of saturday, for our try caving day  ;)

If you are prepared to to take a chance and perhaps have to wait a while, then come on over ;)

cap n chris

Thanks, Les. Is the WCC "Try Caving (if you think you're `aard enough) Day" this Saturday (2nd) or next (9th)? I doubt anything will happen tomorrow (2nd) since so far there's been no response to this suggestion - and it's a bit short notice, and I'm caving anyway but probably in the morning but it might be in the afternoon....

Anyhow, hope the TCIYTYAE Day goes well!  (y)

whitelackington

Just thought of a nuther one Captain Chris, Stainsby's Shaft.
I have not done it since that geezer tried to top himself but I have seen the impressive lid somebody fitted.
I think you could s.r.t. off that! :beer:

Les W

cap 'n chris said:
Thanks, Les. Is the WCC "Try Caving (if you think you're `aard enough) Day" this Saturday (2nd) or next (9th)? I doubt anything will happen tomorrow (2nd) since so far there's been no response to this suggestion - and it's a bit short notice, and I'm caving anyway but probably in the morning but it might be in the afternoon....

Anyhow, hope the TCIYTYAE Day goes well!  (y)

It's this weekend (2nd)

cap n chris

Les = OK, cheers.

W'lackington = No. Triple Hole.... that's the one with all the diseased cattle corpses in it, isn't it?

A

andymorgan

I would be up for a refresher more advanced trip, something worthwhile for me to come back for!