Author Topic: Wet in t'Dales  (Read 958 times)

Online Fulk

• forum hero
Wet in t'Dales
« on: March 28, 2021, 04:59:21 pm »
It were wet in t'Dales today, but we were so pissed off with lockdown we decided to go for a walk anyway.

Here's a snap of the dry valley in Lower Easegill:

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
Re: Wet in t'Dales
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 06:27:35 pm »
"Dry" valley?

Delighted we're not in Kirk Pot today . . . .

Online Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 10:12:12 pm »
Very wet underground today.  Cold but fun.

Online Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 08:56:15 am »
Unorthodox technique was needed to get across t'beck:

Offline Brains

• forum hero
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 03:41:38 pm »
Had a trip into Valley Entrance on Monday, fairly damp in the roof tunnel and the pitch was well sprayed. Knee deep at the bottom, with the master cave waist deep and going like the clappers. Tried bridging and fighting our way up but gave up before the junction. Fluming back to the pitch was quick cold fun! Climbing out I noticed sump foam only a metre from the top of the pitch... Guess it got very wet!
Has anyone seen it in this state or worse? Was the rising making a plume?
Kingsdale beck was flowing and plenty of standing pools in the fields. On the drive in from the M6 / J34 the river Lune was filling the flood plain as bad as I have ever seen it for decades

Online Fulk

• forum hero
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 04:17:21 pm »
I once met someone who claimed to have, on one occasion, swum into the Master Cave from the Roof Tunnel (and back, very quickly).

Offline Pitlamp

• forum hero
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 05:06:52 pm »
Had a trip into Valley Entrance on Monday, fairly damp in the roof tunnel and the pitch was well sprayed. Knee deep at the bottom, with the master cave waist deep and going like the clappers. Tried bridging and fighting our way up but gave up before the junction. Fluming back to the pitch was quick cold fun! Climbing out I noticed sump foam only a metre from the top of the pitch... Guess it got very wet!
Has anyone seen it in this state or worse? Was the rising making a plume?
Kingsdale beck was flowing and plenty of standing pools in the fields. On the drive in from the M6 / J34 the river Lune was filling the flood plain as bad as I have ever seen it for decades

It was like that on the night of the rescue in the system when, sadly, Dave Anderson lost his life in Rowten Pot. My memory of the water level was about 60 cm below the lip of the pitch down from the Roof Tunnel at one stage. It wouldn't surprise me if it managed to encroach into the Roof Tunnel itself in really extreme conditions (such as during Storms Desmond and Eva, late in 2015).

The 1.8 km of passage out to the resurgence is all open enough; I think the backing up in the KMC is simply due to friction between the water and the walls in the long sump.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal