Author Topic: Severn barrage  (Read 114126 times)

Offline graham

• Retired
  • forum hero
  • UBSS, Speleo-Club de Perigueux, GSG, SUI
    • UBSS
Re: Severn barrage
« Reply #475 on: November 05, 2012, 10:41:58 pm »
But energy efficiency is a far cheaper and simpler option - start acting now and maybe we won't need a barrage.

Which Wookey said on this thread 3 years ago. So who hasn't had their insulation done yet?
Caving is for Life not just for Christmas

Offline gus horsley

• forum hero
« Reply #476 on: November 06, 2012, 12:45:24 pm »
Another massive advantage of  a Severn Barrage could be a new road link between Somerset and Wales, bloody handy for cavers,

Aaaarghhh.  If it gets built there won't be any point because there won't be many caves left.  About 30 years ago, when a smaller version of the barrage was proposed, approximately 150 quarrying licenses for limestone were approved in the Mendips and Wales, based on interim development orders granted after the 2nd World War.  I know this because I was heavily involved in the attempts to get them stopped and, although a victory appeared to have been achieved at the time, I don't think they've gone away.  At the time the Severn barrage was recognised for what it has always been, and that's got very little to do with saving the Planet, more like lining the pockets of major civil engineering firms. 

I don't find your arguments very convincing Mick but maybe I'm just being cynical.

Offline whitelackington

• forum hero
  • Pyrenees Potholer Digger
« Reply #477 on: December 14, 2012, 01:32:18 pm »
Ed Davey says £30,000,000,000 Severn Barrage back on the governments agenda
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-20710783
In October former Deputy Prime Minister Lord Heseltine said it potentially offered "extraordinary economic regeneration".  :thumbsup:

Offline gus horsley

• forum hero
« Reply #478 on: December 19, 2012, 07:49:43 am »
 :thumbsdown:

No further printable comment

Offline SimonMW

« Reply #479 on: February 28, 2013, 09:00:01 am »
If you want to see what the results of a barrage are on rivers that have a tidal bore and a similar silt level to the Severn look no further than the tributaries of the Bay of Fundy. They are spending millions taking down their barrage projects because of the damage that they caused. What they ended up with was hundreds of square miles of mud. Engineers on the Bay of Fundy projects are on record as saying that they are absolutely astounded that people want to build a Severn barrage given their experiences in Canada.

What is rarely ever considered is that the Severn Bore isn't just an amazing spectacle, it is intrinsic to the eco system of the river. It keeps the silt in suspension and effectively flushes out the system.

Online rhychydwr1

• forum hero
  • The Mayor of Cwm Parc
    • http://www.showcaves.com
« Reply #480 on: February 28, 2013, 09:44:31 am »
I Googled "Bay of Fundy" and it appears that the barrage will not be finished until 2015.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal