Author Topic: Sometimes Cover Songs Are OK  (Read 876 times)

Online pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
Re: Sometimes Cover Songs Are OK
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2021, 12:00:17 pm »
I remember watching that Whistle Test live - my parents had already given up on me musically, and as I was 'old enough' to stomp off from the Silver Jubilee, I was clearly old enough to stay up late and watch Whistle Test and still get myself up for school. Taught me not to jump onto unstable objects too. They probably heard it through the floor though ;)

Online pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2021, 03:02:08 pm »
This one also caused a considerable amount of consternation when it was first released as a single in 1978 - though it had the approval of Mick Jagger, so it was fine. It was passed around school like some wonderful alien artifact  ;)

Offline Ed

• stalker
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2021, 04:16:11 pm »
The Sisters of Mercy's speed come-down paranoia-drenched take on "Gimme Shelter" is way, way better than the Stones original version!

New Model Army and Tom Jones version

Offline tony from suffolk

• forum hero
  • Old codger
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2021, 04:25:38 pm »

Its also worth watching some of Yusaf Islam's more recent performances of this song. Age and fatherhood has added a greater depth to them.
His recent re-recording of Tea For The Tillerman's excellent.
"Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment"

Offline Robert Scott

• forum star
  • A Yorkshireman with a Scottish father
    • http://www.hughendon.btinternet.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2021, 09:47:16 pm »
Gosh - what discoveries. White Buffalo's "Highway Men", Cash's " Hurt", Seeger's "I'm gonna be an Engineer" to mention just a few highlights. Of course I knew Hendrix's "All along the Watchtower"

Bob Dylan also wrote and performed 2 versions of "Forever Young" on the Planet Waves album, neither of which sounded uplifting, so here is one of Joan Baez's covers.

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal