Author Topic: Sad: Rightmove shows increasing number of B&Bs, Bunkhouses etc up for sale  (Read 3685 times)

Online pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
    • Phil Wolstenholme website
I don't care how good they are, I'm not going all the way to Cleethorpes for some fish and chips. But I'll stick in the GPS just in case ;)

Offline Cantclimbtom

• addict
... ... No but the one in Corwen is also very nice...
I mentioned to a colleague a while ago (from near St Asaph) that I've driven through Corwen many times but never had a reason to stop. He told me off and said I should stop next time. Looks like I've got a good reason to stop now. Will stop and try the chippy next time I'm thataway if it's feeding time. Thanks

Edit, since the metal wall-butterfly production relocated to distant Carrog some years ago, times must have been hard since the local industry closed. I should spend some cash in the chippy to help regenerate the area
Expert in incompetent tomfoolery

Offline sinker

• menacing presence
  • O-Level woodwork BlockbusterVideo Gold Card
Hahah - is that the deal-clincher for buying a Welsh property then?  ;)

No but the one in Corwen is also very nice after a trip in Cambrian, we have fav,s all over the UK not just Wales . You remember them because there are so many shit ones . The top one is Steels in Cleethorpes ... Now we are talking  !!   :thumbsup:

Fish & Chips is always THE deal-breaker for Paul.

And I'm sorry to say the the chippie in Waunfawr has closed  :(

It was a Polish lady who ran it and even though it was all cooked fresh she always had a bowl of chips on the counter:
"Help yourself, eat these while I cook yours"
By time yours were ready you'd be full.
If she thought anyone looked a bit skinny she'd throw a few extra on as well! :lol:

Ah, well, now, you see...erm...

Offline Paul Marvin

• menacing presence
  • Bronze, Silver & Gold Swimming Certificates
Hahah - is that the deal-clincher for buying a Welsh property then?  ;)

No but the one in Corwen is also very nice after a trip in Cambrian, we have fav,s all over the UK not just Wales . You remember them because there are so many shit ones . The top one is Steels in Cleethorpes ... Now we are talking  !!   :thumbsup:

Fish & Chips is always THE deal-breaker for Paul.

And I'm sorry to say the the chippie in Waunfawr has closed  :(

It was a Polish lady who ran it and even though it was all cooked fresh she always had a bowl of chips on the counter:
"Help yourself, eat these while I cook yours"
By time yours were ready you'd be full.
If she thought anyone looked a bit skinny she'd throw a few extra on as well! :lol:

Yes if I remember she was a large well built lady , what a shame nice after a walk on snowdon up the rangers path   :weep:
I dont know where I am going, but will know where I am when I get there.

Offline ttxela2

• menacing presence
When we started out our expectations were the same as everybody's a two up two down mid terrace and if you were very lucky an end terrace , this coupled with high interest rates kept your feet firmly on the ground . However the expectations from a first time buyer these days is much different and coupled with ridiculously low interest rates has caused the problem nowadays . Money is just to cheap to borrow ! hence the house inflation prices .

We had a small house to sell in Bethesda last year; it had been rented out for a few years and empty for two so it was tarted up and put on the market for £70k. That's right, a two-up / two-down terrace for £70k. Bargain of the century right?

What a hassle! A load of spoilt kids in their early twenties coming to look at it with mum and dad in tow.
All driving Audi's and Range Rovers.
It soon becomes obvious that mum and dad are stumping up most of the cash.
The kids are turning their noses up at it; too small, too narrow, we've got two cars and there's only room for one, don't like the kitchen, don't like the bathroom, there's no "outdoor living space" (garden) no "entertaining space" (WTF...??), no en-suite master bedroom, no "guest" bedroom. One even complained that it had no outdoor tap!!
FFS it's a Victorian quarryman's terrace house. It didn't have electricity until 1950 and it didn't have an indoor bog until 1976!!

"I don't like it dad, there's NO WAY that I could live here!"

Spoilt ba$tard$ don't know they're born!!

12 months of these to$$ers turning their noses up at it and it eventually went for £67k. Gave it away.
I have a friend like that cant afford a house BUT has a Audi Q 3 on tick of course chopped in a 17 plate for a brand new one because ..... " there was a squeak somewhere inside  " has all the gizmos and gadgets very best of cave and dive equipment cant use the Audi to go caving in case it gets dirty and goes and hires a car for the weekend they hemorrhage money . Best of all the Q3 does 4.2 miles per day for his mrs to go to work and back , she has a better car than the pharmacist. Never heard of a thermos flask that I recommended to him when he told me the ridiculous amount he spends on coffee per week , over £100 just on bloomin coffee !!!  :wall:

Both my girls have newer cars than I've ever owned in my life, it's almost as if they didn't enjoy a childhood of helping with rust repairs and oil changes  :shrug: :doubt:

Offline Digit

Both my girls have newer cars than I've ever owned in my life, it's almost as if they didn't enjoy a childhood of helping with rust repairs and oil changes  :shrug: :doubt:

Newish modern cars are a smart mobile phone with extra periferals.  Ordinary smart mobile phones cost more (in £ notes) than a typical deposit when I purchased a house.

As for rust and oil changes etc such skills are no longer required or useable.  I have them but recently had to take my 20 year old car to a main dealer to have a failed indicator bulb changed.  The first garage I tried failed, could not work out how to do it. Apparently you have to remove much of the front bodywork to get the light unit out and do it on the bench! :furious:

Online pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
Let's not forget though that many easily-repairable cars of yore were also some sort of hybrid construction sitting somewhere between a large baby pram and a greenhouse, with an engine attached, and didn't do especially well in collisions, nor their contents for that matter. Some modernisation is definitely welcome. Mind you, I don't drive at all, so just ignore me  :halo:

Offline Paul Marvin

• menacing presence

Newish modern cars are a smart mobile phone with extra periferals.  Ordinary smart mobile phones cost more (in £ notes) than a typical deposit when I purchased a house.

As for rust and oil changes etc such skills are no longer required or useable.  I have them but recently had to take my 20 year old car to a main dealer to have a failed indicator bulb changed.  The first garage I tried failed, could not work out how to do it. Apparently you have to remove much of the front bodywork to get the light unit out and do it on the bench! :furious:

My mate has a BMW about 10 years old and he has to take the front bumper and grill off as well as the N/S front wheel to change a bulb  :furious:. Luckily the standard on newer vehicles has been changed so that a bulb can be easily changed by the owner or garage . My Caddy van and my wifes Mini Coupe I can change two headlight bulbs in about 3 mins, so thats progress .  :clap2: :bounce:

Offline Paul Marvin

• menacing presence
Let's not forget though that many easily-repairable cars of yore were also some sort of hybrid construction sitting somewhere between a large baby pram and a greenhouse, with an engine attached, and didn't do especially well in collisions, nor their contents for that matter. Some modernisation is definitely welcome. Mind you, I don't drive at all, so just ignore me  :halo:

Yes I used to service all my own vehicles back in the day before on board computers and ECU units  ::)

Online PeteHall

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • ChCC, WCC, SWCC, WCDG
Personally, I find modern cars a lot easier to service in general. Stuff doesn't rust the way it used to (better materials and processes) so stuff just comes undone as it should. Oil comes out looking like new, rather than the black treacle you get out of an old engine.

The electronics are what will kill modern cars  :wall:

Online 2xw

• forum star
  • YUCPC, SUSS
A recurring theme among those complaining about young people doing this and that is that they neglect to consider who raised them.

I bet your parents griped about you spending all that money on the new fangled cassette player and Austin Allegro  ;D

Offline sinker

• menacing presence
A recurring theme among those complaining about young people doing this and that is that they neglect to consider who raised them.

I bet your parents griped about you spending all that money on the new fangled cassette player and Austin Allegro  ;D

I haven't moaned about my own kids. The young people that I complain about are products of their parents who are also to$$ers on the whole.

Offline Cantclimbtom

• addict
"It pays to be rich"

Offline ttxela2

• menacing presence

Funnily enough my parents mostly complained about me filling their driveway with rusty decades old hulks of vehicles and I'm sure would have preferred I spent a bit more on something more current.  :doubt:

Offline Cantclimbtom

• addict
I haven't moaned about my own kids. The young people that I complain about are products of their parents who are also to$$ers on the whole.
To go back to your original gripe, about a house sale and ****rs coming to view. What role does an Estate Agent play in this? Sounds like they were sending over people for viewings who would never want it (because not enough space to park several Range Rover Sports or whatever). Sounds just as much like the agent was playing a game to force you to drop the price?  Seen it before where they over-value to get the business, then play games to get the seller to drop the price if it doesn't shift, then it gets sold.

Offline sinker

• menacing presence
To go back to your original gripe, about a house sale and ****rs coming to view. What role does an Estate Agent play in this? Sounds like they were sending over people for viewings who would never want it (because not enough space to park several Range Rover Sports or whatever). Sounds just as much like the agent was playing a game to force you to drop the price?  Seen it before where they over-value to get the business, then play games to get the seller to drop the price if it doesn't shift, then it gets sold.

Strange one this; the Estate Agent is actually an old friend of over 30 years standing. Yes yes yes I know, no such thing as a friendly honest estate agent;actually he is as honest as the day is long and the ONLY one I would trust.
I had told him to keep the price realistic (£70k??!??!) and the interest local, which to be fair, he did both. Just so happens that a LOT of the local first-time buyers are spoilt to$$ers.
He advertised it as 1 bedroom when it technically does have 2; you just need to walk through one to get to the bathroom. ON-STREET PARKING. No garden. He played it right down.

Slightly off-topic sorry but an interesting angle on a bigger problem.

Online pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
'Location, Location...sigh...Location' is on now, and it's in Sheffield, and is even more cringeworthy than usual now it's somewhere I know - I couldn't watch it past ten minutes in. Those poor saps. A young couple, with a budget of only £450,000, looking for a fixer-upper in Fulwood. Hahahahah. There's plenty for that money.

Offline Paul Marvin

• menacing presence
'Location, Location...sigh...Location' is on now, and it's in Sheffield, and is even more cringeworthy than usual now it's somewhere I know - I couldn't watch it past ten minutes in. Those poor saps. A young couple, with a budget of only £450,000, looking for a fixer-upper in Fulwood. Hahahahah. There's plenty for that money.

Yes I always wonder where the budget comes from as well . Fulwood is a nice area though. I originate from Ridgeway what use to be a tiny little hamlet , it now joins up to Mosborough   :'(

Online pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
Well they were both bright and shiny and probably not yet 35, soI assume it was from their parents. But as I mentioned, I couldn't watch it, they were so annoying. Funnily enough I've been all over your area lately, checking out lots of the ancient woodland and the old collieries down the Moss Valley. Also the remains of Norton aerodrome/driving track has just been demolished last week.

Online pwhole

• forum hero
  • TSG, DCA, PDMHS
Oooh - very interesting. Thanks for the link. This was a nice find yesterday - one of a bank of coke ovens:

Offline Fjell

• forum star
Like many things in English society, Jane Austen is always your first port of call for top tips. We are in an age of intense concern about the preservation and distribution of capital, wholly caused by elevated house values that inflate rather than depreciate (they get older, right?).

The penny that is slowly dropping is that if you have kids then you have to pass on the house value or they will fall backwards. That means you can't actually spend it in your old age, it is just held in trust. All those prices increases were pointless. Japan has multi-generational mortgages, and the UK is just started going down that road. Inheritance tax is the third rail in the UK, it evokes primal fear that it would apply to the majority.

I don't actually think it is so bad in the North, where possibly a majority of houses are valued at less than rebuild cost (we bought ours at about 70%) and rents are fairly low (we have rented out a house up here, it's house sitting, not a viable business). And there does seem to be a surprising amount of new build going on all over the place. Probably the worst thing would be solutions for the SE being applied up here (higher interest rates for instance).

Offline Carbide1

• regular
How do the figures look when you factor in the cost of the plot?

Offline AR

• Black shadow
  • forum hero
  • PDMHS, ATAC, ANHMS
Inheritance tax is the third rail in the UK, it evokes primal fear that it would apply to the majority.

People think it's just "the rich" that get stung by it but these days with house prices, you can easily find an estate going over the threshold if you're not mindful of it. Since we've mentioned Ranmoor and property, my Gran owns a very nice 5-bed semi there close to the parks that's been home since well before I was born, and a few years ago she looked at its value and considered what would happen to her children if she died suddenly. She went for equity release (in the form of an interest-only mortgage) to reduce the value of the property and hence the net value of the estate, and I guess that will be continued if the term is up while she's still with us.
Dirty old mines need love too....

Offline ttxela2

• menacing presence

The penny that is slowly dropping is that if you have kids then you have to pass on the house value or they will fall backwards. That means you can't actually spend it in your old age, it is just held in trust. All those prices increases were pointless. Japan has multi-generational mortgages, and the UK is just started going down that road. Inheritance tax is the third rail in the UK, it evokes primal fear that it would apply to the majority.

Yep, the last thing the bankers want is for you to actually pay off your mortgage and for "their" money to not keep circling back to them increasing with each lap.....

Main Menu

Forum Home Help Search
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal