Cae Coch Sulphur Mine

Paul Marvin

Had a great trip today in here with Sinker Phil and lazy Jason smells like you are exploring a giant spent firework. Well worth it guys if you are in Wales and facy getting extremley dirty  (y)

moorebooks

Paul Marvin said:
Had a great trip today in here with Sinker Phil and lazy Jason smells like you are exploring a giant spent firework. Well worth it guys if you are in Wales and facy getting extremley dirty  (y)

Wash off your gear as its quite acid in there  and from experience stuff rots

Mike

Mike

Paul Marvin

moorebooks said:
Paul Marvin said:

Wash off your gear as its quite acid in there  and from experience stuff rots

Mike

Mike

My hands are as dry AF been rubbing cream on still dry , Kit washed  (y). went right down the bottom its like wading in Madras curry  :cry:

Paul Marvin

tamarmole said:
Did you check out the quarry on the far side of the incline head?  Well worth a look.

I think Phil and Jay went over , we went down to the van after 3 hours as our dog was in there

Dave Tyson

Paul Marvin said:
Hey Paul,

Don't forget this is a CAL site, so it would be nice to have an email to permits@caveaccess.co.uk so we have a record. I'll retrospectively register you and log the trip  :clap:

For anyone else interested in visiting CAL sites, just email the above address with your Name, BCA number and club affiliation (if any) so you are covered for any CAL sites till 31st Dec.

Cheers,
Dave
Cave Access Limited admin

sinker

Dave Tyson said:
Paul Marvin said:
Hey Paul,

Don't forget this is a CAL site, so it would be nice to have an email to permits@caveaccess.co.uk so we have a record. I'll retrospectively register you and log the trip  :clap:

For anyone else interested in visiting CAL sites, just email the above address with your Name, BCA number and club affiliation (if any) so you are covered for any CAL sites till 31st Dec.

Cheers,
Dave
Cave Access Limited admin

My bad that Dave, not on Paul; it never even occurred to me that it was CAL.
After years of wandering around wherever I feel like it I occasionally forget!

sinker

Ian Adams said:
Is the bottom drainage adit now open?  :D

No Ian. Cae Coch would soon become Allt Coch, Ffordd Coch and eventually Afon Coch. And probably Wyneb Coch as well  :LOL:
There is a LOT of retained orange gunk in there  :)

Cantclimbtom

Was reading https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_mine_drainage and
trying to remember chemistry from school to see what sort of irony and sulphurous muck might be in that, but it looks like there's a whole acidic soup of different stuff that could be lurking in it. Yum!

Paul Marvin

Cantclimbtom said:
trying to remember chemistry from school to see what sort of irony and sulphurous muck might be in that, but it looks like there's a whole acidic soup of different stuff that could be lurking in it. Yum!

Its really funny stuff with a fibrous like stuff floaing in it, a bit like a half digested curry before it passase intothe lower bowel  :cry:

Brains

Paul Marvin said:
Cantclimbtom said:

Its really funny stuff with a fibrous like stuff floaing in it, a bit like a half digested curry before it passase intothe lower bowel  :cry:
Guess it's bacterial colonies, similar to the ones that form snottites...

sinker

Brains said:
Paul Marvin said:
Cantclimbtom said:

Yep, its basically snotties or very similar. "Acidic snot". Wasn't he a Kenny Everett character...?

The_Bogieman

Brains said:
Paul Marvin said:
Cantclimbtom said:

Bit like our Parys Mine on Anglesey - sulphide ores. Most of the copper sulphide ore has been stoped out but there is an enormous amount of iron pyrite in the rocks of Parys. Rainwater trickles through the rock and there are many red pools of pH 1.8 - 2.2 'water' plus many leather like snotites hanging down from the passage roofs. These are a polysacaride bacteria which eat the sulphur and excrete pure sulphuric acid as their 'poo'. Need to watch your eyes going into Cae Goch, Parys or any other mine where sulphide ores give rise to snotites or where you see clear red pools or smell rotten eggs - that's possibly the worst issue, hydrogen sulphide gas is VERY deadly since you can smell it at very low concentrations but over about 10ppm, it anaesthetises your nose so you can no longer smell it and at not much higher concentration, you're brown bread!

Cantclimbtom

Even by the standards of mines, which are not the healthiest places to work long term (silicosis and a million other ills) sulphur bearing mines sound particularly unhealthy. Poor folk who spent their working lives in there!

Paul Marvin

Cantclimbtom said:
Even by the standards of mines, which are not the healthiest places to work long term (silicosis and a million other ills) sulphur bearing mines sound particularly unhealthy. Poor folk who spent their working lives in there!

Yes we were not that long and I had tingly lips after a while  :yucky: