OFD question

Andy Sparrow

Last Sunday we went to the upper Great Oxbow Series from Midnight Passage.  We went through Hayden's Dig and into Deja Rue.  From here the only route is a low wet crawl leading into some larger passage and a streamway, where it's possible to do a short round trip.  Just off the streamway is an aven of about 10 metres with several ropes (of various antiquity) hanging down it. 

I can see this on the survey but the whole area is so complex with the multiple levels overlapping that it's hard to read. 

So, where does the aven connect?  Is there a worthwhile round-trip to be done, or a variation on the through trip?

Andy Sparrow

Not exactly an overwhelming response!  OK - let me ask an alternative question - has anybody been to Merthyr Vale from Marble Showers?  And if so what's it like?

NigR

A belated reply to your initial questions, Andy:

Deja Rue had already been explored via a pitch down from the Upper Great Oxbow Series (top of the skyhook) prior to being re-discovered through Haydn's Dig, hence the (retrospective) name.

It's a long, long time since I've been into that part of the cave so my memory is a bit hazy but I'm pretty certain the other aven you mention also leads to the same area. So, yes you could do a round trip - up the skyhook pitch (free-climb, no skyhooks these days!!) and back down either of the avens. Or you could go up the normal chimney route off the high level through trip.

There is an interesting variation on the through trip not too far away but I'll let you find it for yourself (careful perusal of the survey should help). It's a bit complex and route-finding is far from obvious so a recce from either end might be a good idea unless you have lots of time to spare.

Merthyr Vale area is also worth visiting but it's quite a long haul up there and back, particularly if you are trying to tag it onto a through trip.

Andy Sparrow

NigR said:
A belated reply to your initial questions, Andy:

Deja Rue had already been explored via a pitch down from the Upper Great Oxbow Series (top of the skyhook) prior to being re-discovered through Hadyn's Dig, hence the (retrospective) name.

It's a long, long time since I've been into that part of the cave so my memory is a bit hazy but I'm pretty certain the other aven you mention also leads to the same area. So, yes you could do a round trip - up the skyhook pitch (free-climb, no skyhooks these days!!) and back down either of the avens.

There is an interesting variation on the through trip not too far away but I'll let you find it for yourself (careful perusal of the survey should help). It's a bit complex and route-finding is far from obvious so a recce from either end might be a good idea unless you have lots of time to spare.

Merthyr Vale area is also worth visiting but it's quite a long haul up there and back, particularly if you are trying to tag it onto a through trip.

Thanks for the reply.  I couldn't really tell from the survey if Merthyr Vale connected with this area and whether it could be included as part of a variation on the standard through trip.

I see the skyhook has been replaced with an alternative (and more reliable) hauling system, which may prompt me to make another visit to this area, and try to make more sense of the upper levels.

NigR

Bloody hell, Andy - you're well plugged in! I'm still trying to edit my initial spelling mistakes and you've posted a reply already!

What does this 'more reliable' hauling system on the skyhook pitch consist of then?

Andy Sparrow

NigR said:
Bloody hell, Andy - you're well plugged in! I'm still trying to edit my initial spelling mistakes and you've posted a reply already!

What does this 'more reliable' hauling system on the skyhook pitch consist of then?

Two bolt anchors at the bottom and what appears to be two separate bolts at the top, each with a large maillon, through which the hauling cord runs.  I will give it a test run on my next trip.

rsch

5507778240_d177d0bf83.jpg