Devon Caves under threat

mrodoc

Some while back somewhere on the forum there was a posting by Ali Neill that might well relate to this. Few cavers outside Devon will be aware of this, but apart from Radford Cave in Plymouth there is a truncated system nearby  about 200 metres in length known as Rabley Caves. These lie in a quarry by Hooe Lake which was overgrown and unused although had once being a fuel storage area. I have just found out that a major housing development is being planned for the quarry and some of the locals aren't happy. I have posted something on their website but anybody interested in caving in Devon might also want to contribute.  Take a look at http://www.hooelake.org/2009/12/multimedia-tour-radford-hooe-lake/ as well.

mrodoc

I have learnt since last post that negotiations between DCUC and the planners probably will result in access for cavers.  There should be more in the next issue of Descent. Please remember I am the Devon correspondent if you have any news particularly regarding access problems, digs or new finds.

gus horsley

I'll throw my hat into the ring and state that I'm opposed to these developments and similar ones.  Not wanting to be too political but I think these schemes are going to crop up all over the place as the Government relax planning laws and just about everything else in order to "stimulate the economy", a mantra I'm getting a wee bit depressed with nowadays for a variety of reasons.  Down here in Cornwall a new housing development was built over the site of Appletree Mine near St Austell , where a total of at least 20 identifiable shafts were capped and submerged under drives, houses and gardens.  When I spoke to the person who claimed to be the site foreman he wasn't even sure which mine it was!

Good luck with maintaining access.

Roger W

gus horsley said:
  Down here in Cornwall a new housing development was built over the site of Appletree Mine near St Austell , where a total of at least 20 identifiable shafts were capped and submerged under drives, houses and gardens.

I wonder how long it will be before somebody wakes up to find a big hole where his front garden used to be?