Advice for a Notts II exchange trip

AndyR

Hi Folks,
Been inspired by reading Adventures Underground to organise a days caving taking in the Notts II streamway with a group of friends that are all competent keen cavers.  Would ideally like to do an exchange with 2 parties.  I've not been there before so any advice for the ultimate Notts II trip?  Cupcake  - Committee Pot or something else? Is the link from Lost Johns normally open?  Finding it difficult to work out what entrances open.  Would have a whole day at our disposal so time isn't an issue. 
Many thanks
Andy :)

langcliffe

My favourite is Death's Head to Notts II - can be done almost as a pull-through with a little care. It does require that the canal in Lost Johns' is open.

Alex

As far as I know the link is open still, in real wet weather I am told it can sump as there is an almost duck at the beginning of it but having been through there on wet days it may just be static water. If you want a truly epic trip without too much route finding issues then you could do an exchange trip between Notts 2 (Committe pot) and either Deaths head as Langcliffe suggests (though in wet weather that certainly is not possible). Or  Boxhead with a bit of route finding issues and harder horizontal caving before a big up pitch. You can rig this in most weather provided you use all the devi's and rebelays but stay away if real wet (likely the main stream in Notts 2 would be impassible anyway).

Cupcake is fun however it has both up and down pitches and would require perfect timing for the exchange trip, which may not even be possible if in-situ rope is missing as there are several ups and downs in either direction.

Other entrances are Voldermort hole, a secretive entrance with some nice pretties and loose rock.

You have also Big meanie a tight entrance pitch beyond Death's head and probably as far away from the start of the trip in Notts 2 as possible without diving.

I am sure there are other entrances I have forgotten about. All except Notts 2 itself requires SRT.

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
You'll not be disappointed with Deaths Head to Notts 2 (in good weather of course). Two fabulous streamways and some challenging caving in between (depending on how your head copes with boulder chokes)  ;)  When you get to Notts you can run up and down to the sumps instead of heading straight out.  It doesn't get better than that.  (y)