Northern Ireland caving

Keris82

Can anyone tell me if there are any caves and caving groups in northern Ireland? Pref around the Ulster area or north coast. I'm aware of Co Fermanagh but thats a bit far from where I want to be  :-\

CavingPig

Co Fermanagh is in Ulster ;) there are a few very small granite caves in the Mournes, and some sea caves along the north coast if that's of any interest? Queens University Belfast has a student club, they might be able to help out with more info - but the Fermanagh/Cavan border area is the main NI caving destination.

GoneCaving

Clubs: QUBCC in Belfast, and there's the Breifne in the NW. FB is the best way to get in contact with either of them.

Caves: There's a bit in the Mournes and Antrim, but not much. You really need to be over the other side in the Fermanagh/Cavan/Sligo/Leitrim area.

Keris82

CavingPig said:
Co Fermanagh is in Ulster ;) there are a few very small granite caves in the Mournes, and some sea caves along the north coast if that's of any interest? Queens University Belfast has a student club, they might be able to help out with more info - but the Fermanagh/Cavan border area is the main NI caving destination.

Thank you for your response. My geography is awful! Haha!  :LOL:

nobrotson

If based in Belfast, it is only around 1-1.5 hours driving to reach the Hoo, Ireland's only caving hut and a palace fit for kings. The Hoo is within walking distance of Marble Arch Caves and less than 15 minutes drive from other classic caves on Cuilcagh mountain (Prods Pot-Cascades Rising, Shannon Cave, Tullyhona and more). Noons and Pollaraftra are two other classic caves a bit further of a drive away and quite a few smaller caves exist in the Fermanagh-Cavan area.

Dublin is where the majority of cavers in Ireland live, aside from those down in Clare and up in Belfast. There are people caving in Fermanagh from Dublin at least once a month, generally more. They mostly do tourist caving, but if you are looking to do some exploration then members of the Shannon Group are the people to ask, there are still a few kicking around though activity has slowed quite a bit since the mid-late 2000s when they were pretty active.

Alex

Just be aware the Hoo, is less like the caving huts in Yorkshire/Derbyshire and is more a like a bothy. The only differences is there is gas for cooking (somewhere, we never found it) and it does have a loo, though 50m away, but hey so at least you don't have to dig your own hole... but essentially it is a bothy. So don't expect much luxury and know that it will be freezing this time of a year oh and bring ear plugs, the sheep are bloody loud!

just this week in Fermanagh (in Ulster) there was Brefnie digging/caving on Wednesday, QUBCC and Shannon Group were caving on Marlbank over the weekend. Near every weekend theres cavers at the Hoo. Last week there was Shannon Group members based in the Hoo surveying and digging and participating in the Cave rescue float in the Ennniskillen paddies day parade.

On side note I'm warden for the Hoo. We're having a tidyup/work party on the weekend of the 5th/6th April,  which should have a wide array of Irish cavers attending so youre welcome to come along and meet them.  BBQ/pizza for all volunteers and we'll probably show a cave type film. We're installing radiators in the dorm areas and gas powered showers, and beautifying it a bit more for the snowflake generation.

Keris82

Thank you for the invite. It's a bit short notice for us as we're from London. But would love to come another time