Anyone got a petrol disk cutter and an hour spare?

Pete K

Thanks for looking!
A small DCA team are sorting out a mine shaft top currently. We pulled a half-inch thick steel sheet off the top which must weigh 100kg+. Took me an hour and 8 batteries to cut a slice off it with an angle grinder on the last visit. What we need is a Stihl circular saw or something like that (and ideally an operator) so it can be sliced into small enough 'planks' for me to load into a van without breaking my back or ruining my cabinets.
Can anyone help? Bradwell area. Fuel can be paid. Date can be arranged to suit.
Pete K
DCA Projects

lumenchild

Pete K said:
Thanks for looking!
A small DCA team are sorting out a mine shaft top currently. We pulled a half-inch thick steel sheet off the top which must weigh 100kg+. Took me an hour and 8 batteries to cut a slice off it with an angle grinder on the last visit. What we need is a Stihl circular saw or something like that (and ideally an operator) so it can be sliced into small enough 'planks' for me to load into a van without breaking my back or ruining my cabinets.
Can anyone help? Bradwell area. Fuel can be paid. Date can be arranged to suit.
Pete K
DCA Projects
if you can get one of these: https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/power-tools/air-angle-grinders/fct076-76mm-reversible-cut-off-tool/p/KBE2701200K
and try and hire an electric air compressor from a tool hire company that will save you from having to worry about fumes and using it will be unlimited depending on the discs you use :D
https://www.hss.com/hire/c/breaking-and-drilling/air-compressors

Pete K

Cheers, but I can hire a disk cutter locally if needed, but as it's only an hour's surface job I was hoping we could find a local to do it like the last time we needed something big cut up. Anyone who wants the steel for scrap weigh-in can have it + a few more bits too.

nickwilliams

I've got a Stihl saw but it sounds like a waste of a useful lump of metal to me. Drop me a line by e-mail with some details of where it is and I'll see if I can arrange to move it whole.

If it really does need chopping up then a gas axe would be much quicker.

pwhole

It's a bit rusty, but at nearly 1cm thick it probably won't be inside. It's about 1.5m square.

Pete K

nickwilliams said:
I've got a Stihl saw but it sounds like a waste of a useful lump of metal to me. Drop me a line by e-mail with some details of where it is and I'll see if I can arrange to move it whole.

If it really does need chopping up then a gas axe would be much quicker.
Will do Nick, cheers. If it can be removed and reused whole then brilliant.

AR

I agree with Nick about cutting, if you need to reduce something that size and thickness you really need a gas axe!

owd git

how far does it need to be carried bfore loading into a van Pete?. can be that van & extra if needed.  (y)

Pete K

Only about 20m down a gentle set of steps. It was more the transporting of it offsite and disposal that was the issue for me. Won't fit in my campervan as it is. I'll see if Nick is keen and be in touch with you if needed. Cheers.