Eldon Quarry Access

bograt

Been asked to let folks know;

ELDON HILL QUARRY

DCA?s website now has details of the latest developments in the access situation. Chatsworth own the Quarry and don?t want the site widely publicised at this stage, and their tenant farmer has concerns of his own regarding visitors. Natural England also have an interest as the Quarry is part of the Castleton SSSI. However, an accommodation has now been reached and anyone interested should refer to thedca.org.uk/

pwhole

Maybe a couple of safe in/out routes could be agreed and pointed out to cavers somehow without going too public and without upsetting the landowners. The ledge heading west appeared to get rather dodgy after the point I climbed up, with a horrible crack about a metre in from the edge, which is definitely not going to heal! Not sure what the face is like directly below Sidetrack, but perhaps adding bolts there to at least allow an abseil to the quarry floor might help?

mulucaver

I've just been looking at the DCA site re access to Eldon Quarry and have a few questions.

"The Quarry is part of the Castleton SSSI and all digging needs to be logged."
Does this mean we have carte blanche to dig anywhere in the quarry without asking for specific permission?
Who's requirement is it to log digging?
What happens to the digging log?
What is the reason for logging digging trips?
If this is an arrangement with Natural England does it only apply to Eldon Quarry or does it apply to all of the Castleton SSSI?

martinm

mulucaver said:
Does this mean we have carte blanche to dig anywhere in the quarry without asking for specific permission?

It is as quoted "part of the Castleton SSSI", therefore any new dig needs prior consent from Natural England...

mulucaver

mmilner said:
mulucaver said:

It is as quoted "part of the Castleton SSSI", therefore any new dig needs prior consent from Natural England...
The DCA website says "New sites should be given a name and added to the survey."
There is no mention of having to apply to Natural England. Perhaps it should be modified to make it clear.

mulucaver

mmilner said:
mulucaver said:

What about digging in old digs?

martinm

mulucaver said:
The DCA website says "New sites should be given a name and added to the survey."
There is no mention of having to apply to Natural England. Perhaps it should be modified to make it clear.

Maybe it should, but I'd have thought everyone knows these days to contact NE for consent?

martinm

mulucaver said:

They will presumably already have consent, so no problem. But the logging I think is at the stipulation of the landowner.

bograt

mmilner said:
mulucaver said:

They will presumably already have consent, so no problem. But the logging I think is at the stipulation of the landowner.

Maybe so, but I would suggest that the "powers that be" (EN, Chatsworth, etc.) be notified of any intention to re-activate them, maybe via the relevent DCA officers? (Conservation - Mel, Access - Ewan), please remember that they both have only recently been persuaded into these posts so be gentle! :)

Considering the HUGH amount of work that has gone into regaining access to this site, jumping through a few more hoops on the potential diggers part would not be too much effort, they are easy enough to get through!!

mulucaver

Big Jim said:

You planning a return to Sidetrack then Dave?
[/quote]

I guess that was what started it all but, no, I'm talking about old digs that date to before the SSSI.

mulucaver

bograt said:
mmilner said:
mulucaver said:

Maybe so, but I would suggest that the "powers that be" (EN, Chatsworth, etc.) be notified of any intention to re-activate them, maybe via the relevent DCA officers? (Conservation - Mel, Access - Ewan), please remember that they both have only recently been persuaded into these posts so be gentle! :)

Considering the HUGH amount of work that has gone into regaining access to this site, jumping through a few more hoops on the potential diggers part would not be too much effort, they are easy enough to get through!!

Terry, I'm not trying to circumvent anything, I'm just interested in finding out the what, where, who and why behind the current situation. As one third of the Sidetrack diggers I guess I must bear some responsibility for the current amount of traffic into Eldon Quarry and one of my concerns is that any new digs will be evident to all visitors who sign the log making it difficult to keep it quiet before any breakthrough.
Having said that I've not seen the log and don't know what info is collected.

mulucaver

mmilner said:
mulucaver said:

Maybe it should, but I'd have thought everyone knows these days to contact NE for consent?

I wouldn't mind betting most don't or don't even give it a thought and even those that do know won't necessarily apply.

bograt

Similarly, not trying to block anything, I was just trying to point out the delicacy of the situation, I was there on the last site visit to the active quarry and could offer information.

mulucaver said:
mmilner said:
mulucaver said:

I wouldn't mind betting most don't or don't even give it a thought and even those that do know won't necessarily apply.

Until it comes to the CRUNCH!!, then no-one wants to help sort it out!!

graham

Am I missing something here? Anyone wishing to dig needs to gain consent from the relevant landowner or manager; the site being in a SSSI then that person will be aware of need to gain consent from NE and will either request it or request that the diggers get it themselves. Where on earth is the room for confusion?

martinm

mulucaver said:
I guess that was what started it all but, no, I'm talking about old digs that date to before the SSSI.

Wearing my 'digging / conservation juggling' hat, I would say that if you are not digging on the surface, removing spoil and placing it on the surface or digging in any cave that contains sensitive features (and the dig would be near those features) that are noted in NE/DCA monitoring forms (see the cave monitoring web site for those) and being monitored, (and Sidetrack for example isn't), then you would be OK.

BUT, I agree with Terry it would do no harm to run it by DCA in the first instance, then NE. (NE rarely refuse permission.) And all surface digs must be left safe, so no-one can fall down them...

Regards Mel. DCA Conservation Officer.

martinm

graham said:
Am I missing something here? Anyone wishing to dig needs to gain consent from the relevant landowner or manager; the site being in a SSSI then that person will be aware of need to gain consent from NE and will either request it or request that the diggers get it themselves. Where on earth is the room for confusion?

Because, people often don't bother asking. At Beeston Tor In the Manifold Valley a few years ago, a caver (name & club known) started digging in a cave and uncovered human remains. He went to a museum to get them id'd and this set off a chain of events that cost the NT around ?8k.

I think that is what the log is for, to monitor activity in the quarry, so that if anything is noticed that has not been approved or logged, appropriate action can be taken, which in this case could be closure of the quarry again!

Regards Mel. DCA Conservation Officer.

martinm

OK, I now have clarification of the situation here, thanx to Pete Mellors of DCA:-

The agreement between DCA, Chatsworth and Natural England allows for digs to be started or resumed in the Quarry without the need for further permissions to be sought or obtained.

The only stipulation is that all trips to the Quarry are logged, and DCA has agreed to implement this and so monitor the visiting situation on behalf of Chatsworth, the tenant farmer, and Natural England, largely in case of damage or threats to the scientific interest of the site. Cavers are asked, in other words, to keep it low key, fill in the logbook, and please dig responsibly and thereby safeguard the access we now have.

Pete M

mulucaver

graham said:
Yes, you were missing something. Are you confused now?